Regional foods

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am from Ottawa..Canada's capital, and they are well known for beaver tails and pure maple syrup
Oh and of course...Poutine!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

Around here our regional foods include

- Beaver tails (basically pizza dough fried and then toped with things like brown suggar and cinnimon)

- Poutine (trench fries with cheese curds and gravey)

- Maple syrup products (candy, fudge etc)
OMG,
I said the exact same thing as you without even seeing your post!
Well, I guess they know we aren't lying

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

Around here our regional foods include

- Beaver tails (basically pizza dough fried and then toped with things like brown suggar and cinnimon)

- Poutine (trench fries with cheese curds and gravey)

- Maple syrup products (candy, fudge etc)
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

OMG,
I said the exact same thing as you without even seeing your post!
Well, I guess they know we aren't lying
same here

I had poutine on the weekend

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, around here, we have Beavertails ...... Poutine ..... Maple Syrup ......

Oh maybe things like MacIntosh Apples and Balderson Cheddar too

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have Blue Crabs and that sort of stuff. Honestly I think the food around here is kinda boring! We have mostly chain restaurants that repeat themselves up and down the highway. It's seriously boring.

Where I grew up in upstate New York you could get awesome food from different backgrounds. I mean Greek, Italian, German, Polish, Lebanese, Polish, etc! I eat like a pig whenever I go up there. Oh gosh! Now I want some hummus!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my home town, there are two places anyone who comes to visit has been told about, or HAS to go back to. One is Coney Island (not the one in New York), it is a family owned hotdog place that has been in business since 1918.
The sauce they put on them is unreal (no one knows the secret ingredient), and they still sell drinks like chocolate rickies and cherry smash. The tables are wooden and haven't been changed for decades so you can still read all the names scratched into the top.

The other place is D'atri's. Another family owned restaurant that is know for it's cheese steak subs. When any of my family comes to visit, first stop is D'atri's and they stop at Coney Island on their way out of town.

Now, regional, it would have to be Maryland steamed crabs! I know, I live in WVa now but I'm only 5 miles from Maryland and I'm still a Maryland girl at heart. No where else do they know you need to have enough old bay seasoning on the crabs to make your lips burn!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't get it in restaurants, but when when my family used to travel, our "roadfood" was peanut butter and sliced apples on white bread! Mom would make a couple dozen and keep them in a cooler -- and the cooler also served the purpose of separating my brother and me in the back seat...

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Does Chili Cheese Fries count for the side?! (Michigan)

The U.P Michigan is known for pasties (pah-steez). Whatever they are...I never had any.

The was a Quibys in Lansing that would put green olives and mayo on a hamburger. That was a long time ago and I'm not sure if I Have the name right. I loved it though...they went out of business.
Originally Posted by Katz4Life

We thought your "Whatever they are" comment was cute about a pasty

You should try a pasty - its an aquired taste but they are good! www.pasty.com
I like pasties.
Closer to home there is a US 31 Pork BBQ which is really yummy!

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I live 50 miles north of NYC, so there are many ethnic foods in the area. I'm about 25 miles south of the CIA, so there are many small restaurants and even the delis have chefs from there. The food and creativity are incredible and the CIA has 6 different restaurants and they offer weekend classes to the public.
Our small upscale deli has things on the menu like:
Grilled cheddar cheese with thinly slice apples or pears with dijon mustard
Roasted vegetable wraps with goat cheese
Cuban sandwiches
The West Side, basically a reuben with turkey
Soups from beef barley to miso, and different cookies and scones made on the premise.
All the sandwiches/soups come with fresh made potato chips or bagel chips, (depending on how many bagels were left over that day)

This is a great place for food and I never eat in a chain restaurant.