Refurbishing Cat Tree: Opinions

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My dad is a carpenter and while working in a house he saw a cat tree he liked. He made a comment to the home owner about how much he liked it and she said he could take it. It's a nice tree and was probably quite expensive when it was purchased but you can tell the woman's cats really liked it, they put a good deal of wear on it. It has mainly wood posts with bark on them and one post that is sisal. The sisal is scratched to bits and starting to fall off. One of the wooden posts is missing a large chunk of the bark. I'd like to try and fix it up so it looks nice, my cats don't scratch wood or sisal unfortunately. I was looking for some advice on fixing it. I'm thinking I'll just replace the sisal (I could do carpet which they would actually scratch but I've heard it's much harder to attach). I just spent an hour taking all the sisal off so have a decent idea of how to go about attaching it. What I want an opinion on is the bark. Do you think I should just leave it as is with the chunk missing or should I peel the bark off the whole post and sand it a bit, leaving behind a plain wood post? Or peel it off and cover it with sisal as well? (though it doesn't have flat, straight sides like the sisal covered post so not sure if that complicates things).

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Your links are broken so I wasn't able to actually see a picture of the cat tree.  It's hard to comment without actually seeing it but I would probably keep the bark and sand the edges of the broken area down so that more scratching wouldn't cause additional damage.  However, I actually really like trees and their bark so someone else might think that would look odd.   Would love to see a photo.  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oops, I guess flickr isn't working here. Let's try photobucket...Nope. How do you guys add images?

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The links work, you just have to remove the extra bb code that is around the link to the pictures:

https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7611/27411723334_cd101b0a72.jpg

https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7711/27411723794_1b0d621d57.jpg

I would be wary about re-using an already used cat tree. The tree has the scent of the other person's cats all over it and that may stress out your cats and may even carry diseases. Replacing the sisal and carpeting and stuff won't help. This article explains why some cat items should never be re-used by other cats.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you!