Refrigerators?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Has anyone had luck with a particular brand of refrigerator? We have been talking about buying a new fridge for a long time, but the problems had been mostly cosmetic. About a year ago the rail on the bottom shelf of the door started falling off and that's been annoying so I had been looking a bit more. For the past few days our drinks haven't seemed as cold as usual. I've got a thermometer in there to measure and I just vacuumed the coils, but I think I need to seriously look for a new one. The label inside the old one says it was manufactured in 1994, so it's probably time. :lol:

Two of the models so far that would work in the space are a Frigidaire and an Amana. The Amana has the freezer on the bottom. The Frigidaire does not have a light in the freezer, which is annoying. I've been told by many to stay away from Samsung.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine is a Maytag. I think it's about 15 years old. I like it but wish it were not a side by side. That was what DH wanted though. I also have a Maytag washer & dryer and those are 18 years old. I'm happy with the brand.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an Electrolux side by side. Except for one big issue when it was only a few months old it has worked well and held up for 15 years. The issue it had was that the water dispenser turned itself on and would not shut off. It took three warranty service calls and a complete door replacement to fix it so I was nervous about It’s longevity but so far so good.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our current one is a Whirlpool, about 3 years old. We got it to replace another Whirlpool that was about 15 years old. Michele has a habit of replacing appliances before they start having age-related problems. We had no issues with the previous one, and have had none with this one either. Ours has the freezer on top.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have a Samsung 4-drawer French door. I don't think I'd recommend it. We're having trouble with the ice maker, where it will completely freeze up. Rick has to take it all apart, get all the ice out, and then put it back together. A new ice maker is close to $1,000 for our model. We are not amused.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for brands, my current one is an LG..it came with the house when we bought it 8 years ago and we have not had any issues with it. BUT I will say that I HATE the bottom freezer design. It's not very good for storage, it doesn't stay organized and you have to dig and pull things out to get to something on bottom, rather than have things stacked nicely with a top freezer where you can see everything you got in there. But it's a design issue with all fridge brands...I just find the bottom drawer freezer option is 💩!
My next fridge will for sure have the freezer on top with a "hinged door".

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a Samsung 4-drawer French door.
I love the 4-door fridges! I need a new one soon and I've been drooling over the 4-doors. Expensive though. Plus I've never seen one without a water/ice dispenser, and I don't have a water line run to the fridge (and don't want one; it leaked at my last house and caused a whole Thing). I suppose I could get one with the water/ice dispenser and just not hook them up.
BUT I will say that I HATE the bottom freezer design.
Yeah. The fridge at my last house was a bottom-freezer, and it just wasn't great. Or, I should say, the drawer freezer design isn't great; I think the 4-doors have the freezer on the bottom and they're fine. I won't get another like that anyway.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whichever brand you decide on, get a home owner's warranty, not a warranty on the refrigerator. It will cover all your appliances. They replace them if they can't be fixed or are too expensive for them to fix.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a Samsung 4-drawer French door. I don't think I'd recommend it. We're having trouble with the ice maker, where it will completely freeze up. Rick has to take it all apart, get all the ice out, and then put it back together. A new ice maker is close to $1,000 for our model. We are not amused.
A friend of mine had that problem with his Samsung. It happened twice while it was just a few months old. He bought a new one and you can believe it wasn't a Samsung. :mad:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ours is a Kenmore and it came with the house so it’s 11; almost 12 years old now. It’s a side-by-side and I like it.

My mother has one with the freezer on the bottom and I don’t think it holds as much. Everything that is in there is basically stacked in 2 drawers. Space seems wasted. It doesn’t have a water dispenser or ice maker either. I can’t see not having those now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks, everyone! :) We are limited on space for it so can't get a side by side, etc. :( I'm shying away from teh bottom freezer now as it is double the cost.

We're having trouble with the ice maker, where it will completely freeze up.
Lots of people were complaining about this on my town FB page. I'm going ot send you a link someone posted.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone! :) We are limited on space for it so can't get a side by side, etc. :( I'm shying away from teh bottom freezer now as it is double the cost.

Lots of people were complaining about this on my town FB page. I'm going ot send you a link someone posted.
We had the same problem. Our house is so old that the doors are narrower than the later standards. We had to special-order our refrigerator, and on delivery, had to remove the inner door, entry door and hinges, and unhook the storm door closers and brackets, plus the stop mouldings on both inner doors. The refrigerator cleared by about a quarter-inch on each side. That is with the doors removed from the refrigerator.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Apparently a lot of appliances are back ordered right now and hard to get. We had to go with something they had in stock. We are having a Whirlpool refrigerator delivered on Friday. It wasn't my first choice, but the one that was already had a bunch of orders for it and wasn't expected in for at least three weeks, if they even got it then. Someone else was buying a refrigerator that has to be ordered and they were looking at the best date for delivery being Mid-September! I can't wait that long.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We need a new fridge as our Bosch fridge has broken. We found an upgraded Bosch, but not sure if I trust the brand anymore!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a Whirlpool that we got a couple years ago to replace the same model that failed. The earlier one was a lemon from the start, I think, because it sounded like a plane taking off. This one so far (knock on wood) has been good. We had a hard time finding one because so many of them now are huge with extra bells and whistles we don't need (don't really want to surf the web on my fridge!)

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had the same problem. Our house is so old that the doors are narrower than the later standards. We had to special-order our refrigerator, and on delivery, had to remove the inner door, entry door and hinges, and unhook the storm door closers and brackets, plus the stop mouldings on both inner doors. The refrigerator cleared by about a quarter-inch on each side. That is with the doors removed from the refrigerator.
Oh my...sounds like the same thing we had to go through with our new fridge a couple of years ago.I had no clue,and I guess he never thought about it either.When it was delivered,we sure found out in a hurry!