reducing stress when moving

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We could possibly be moving home and while I know this is stressful enough for a cat the previous occupent smokes and had a cat of his own so as you can imagine this alone will freak lilly out the only way I know to get rid of the smell of smoke is to completely strip the place and redecorate yet more change and stress for her stripping the place before we move in isnt an option any idea's?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Ugh, I hope the smell of smoke isn't overpowering. I hate that, the stuff stains the walls and ceilings.

I suggest plugging in Feliway, and get the spray too. This will help calm the kitties and hopefully distract them from the other cat/smoke smells

also deodorizer sprays may help too.. get one that deodorizes and neutralizes the air, not covering the smell

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i just moved into a place where the previous people living there smoked indoors (disgusting)

use an air purifier, and keep it in the room with the windows open. repaint all the walls. only way to get rid of the smoke stains, and cover up any smell. trust me, it does go away.

as @Draco  suggested, do get some feliway plug ins, i've never personally used them, but they might help with lilly. invest in some calming cat treats for her, they make a huge difference.

when you move out, try to keep her to one room at first so she can get used to the change, once everything is done moving in, and she has acclimated to her surroundings, then let her wander the house...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mercifully shes quite a chilled cat buy if this takes off it will be a lot of change first the move redecorating and then the joys of having a baby in September luckily we got her last summer as a kitten and back then my daughter was only 1 1/2 so shes young child savvy used to being handled and petted they even have a warning system that Phoebe recognises when lilly has had enough 'torment' a raised paw arched forward wiskers and if that fails a soft nip of the wrist fore arm area

trashycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Moved two years ago. I made a room exactly decorated like the old place - at least the same furniture - her favorite and kept her in the first few weeks - it was my bedroom as well as making sre she had some my smelly old cloths to lay on when I was gone. I let her progressively come out and explore. All went fine and she is a nervous old bitty.