Reducing Cat Stress

jkuras

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi All:

I just found out that the apartment I am living in, needs to have a line of pipes replaced, as 4 of my walls are leaking and will become worse. It will be for around 2 weeks of work.

The men will be here for full days, breaking up walls, etc.  I can put my Sushi in a room at a time where they will not enter but the noise and work will frighten him.  Is it better for him to be at home and put in a safe room with his food and litter, than to board him on those days?  

What do you think?

Joyce

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi Joyce,
How's Sushi doing? Hope she's fine.

As for the pipe works, is Sushi gonna be home alone or will there be someone or you home all day while the workers are there? If there is someone or you at home, then it's better to leave him in a safe room with all his needs and you around so that you can calm him when all the knocking and hacking is going on.
If no one is home, than its better to leave him at the boarding place unless the workers can work at minimal noise, which might be possible. I don't really favor boarding house as that will stress our the cat in my case. And you are talking about 2 weeks of work and leaving him there for two weeks.

When I was away for 2 weeks recently for the first time when we had January, he was so stressed out coz we don't like the idea of leaving him at the boarding house or at the vet with all the barking dogs around. So we left him home alone but we got someone to come over everyday 3 times a day to feed him and to clear his litter box. We received his photos everyday and face time with him and boy, the look on is face says it all. He was totally stressed out. When we came back, he was so happy to see us and he meowed and meowed and meowed to asked us to carry him and that was the time we saw his face with signs of relieve. But this is my boy. I don't know how Sushi will take it.
So if you can, leave him at home in a safe room with you at home.
Staying home means familiar scents and ground. No need to further stress him with a new place.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jkuras

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi: Yes, I will be with him  I don't ever leave him.  Because of his special feeding, I cannot trust anyone to watch him but my Vet . If I ever have to board him, she said she would take him as she knows his condition.

I will be stressed more than he will be.

Joyce

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh, that's good. Was afraid you won't be around. This way, Sushi will be safe with you with the loud sounds around. Or at least with the vet.
Hope they finish the work way before 2 weeks. :D