redirected cat aggression after introducing stray and left

ronss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have asked this a couple of times, but still problems...

review-i have 2 cats from pound, both fixed, lived together and got along for 2.5 yrs..

what happen- i brought a unfixed male 1 yr cat into the home, someone moved out and left him where i live, i was going to keep him till i found a new home, and i did..he was around for 2 weeks

next-, he cause a couple of fights, he went after my female, and my male simese got mad and big fight, happen 2 times.......it was horrific fight..

now....after i got rid of the stray, my siamese and female black cat cannot live together,,,my male siamese approaches her, and she growls, ,,and next a big fight.,,,it has happen once, ...i have had them seperated for 3 weeks now,,,,nothing works...done all kinds of things, felaway, whiped them down, cleaned all the blankets etc,,,slowly trying to introduce them...does not work,,,,my males siamese is deternine to hurt her....

what can i do???

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Are you saying the male approaches her, she growls, then he instigates a fight?

Has he been neutered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ronss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my females senses he is agressive, and begins to hiss,sl, and he comes after her with agression, and would get into a fight if i did not break it up with squirt bottle..it seems like the female is trying to get along, but th male siamese i have has nothing to do with it..

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've read through the other thread about this, and you're right to listen to the idea that it is redirected aggression.

Have you read through this thread?  It give good ideas on breaking up fighting cats:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/breaking-up-cat-fights

But of course you want to stop the fighting in the first place... you seem to have done all the things that are recommended, and I don't know what else to add.  It really is a case of re-introduction, and staying calm, as they pick up on your stress.  Also no punishment.. positive re-inforcement is the way to go.

This is information that I've found useful. It's from "Aggressive Behavior Between Cats" published by the Quaker Pet Care Center.
  • Keep the cats in separate rooms for a few days. Then exchange rooms so that they can reacquaint themselves with each other's scent. The door should be kept closed so that there is no interaction between the cats at this time.
  • After a few days of room rotation, let the cats see each other, but not have contact with each other. This can be accomplished by securely wedging or hooking the door so the cats can peek through the crack but can't fit through the opening. Feed the cats something especially delicious on opposite sides of the door. You can also tie two small toys together with a string and slide it under the door so that when one cat bats at the toy, the toy on the other side of the door moves. The goal is for each cat to associate good food and good times with the presence of the other cat.
  • Praise the cats when they are near each other. It never helps to scold the aggressor. If either cat becomes extremely hostile or frightened, close the door and try again later.
  • When the cats are relaxed with the sight of one another, then it is time to open the door. Let them be together for only a few minutes at first, gradually increasing the time each day.

ronss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks all..will give this another try.....this is so frustrating....

how long will the other cats smell stay around before its gone?

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he sprayed anywhere in the house, until it is cleaned thoroughly with an enzyme cleaner, it could last for many months. A cat's sense of smell is fourteen times as sensitive as a human's.

ronss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have had my female walk into the room with my siamese,,and its allways the same....she hiss,s.....she did that today, and then layed on the coffee table...then as usual, my siamese gets up and walks toward her....aggressive behavior..she gets afraid, and i have to separate them.

i was thinking of getting a large cage, and put my siamese in it for an hour a day with my female in the room, and see if that can calme the both down maybe.....do this for a bit, and then let him out of the cage and see what happens....?

i also have a cat behavorist in the phoenix area that has her services , $........she is very well qualified, even as a vet certified behavorist if i have too