Redirected aggression or jealousy?

sneakylemon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I'm in need of some help.  Out of nowhere this morning my four year old cat, MJ, started viciously attacking/stalking my two other cats. (both three years old).  

Quick background info:

MJ is the mother of the other two cats (Nug and Smalls).

All three are spayed/neutered

Nug and Smalls are both males

I have three litter boxes

When I moved back home to finish up school a few months ago, I noticed that MJ will sometimes swat at my other cats if she is sitting with me and they try to come join.  I moved from a one bedroom apartment to a larger finished basement with multiple rooms.  Also, i don't know if its worth noting but I broke up with my girlfriend who lived with me around this time, so one less person in the cats environment that was with them since they were kittens.

Last night I went to bed with MJ and Nug both sleeping in bed with me, which is a normal occurrence.  Smalls has always been a loner and is not a lap cat.  Nug and MJ are both huge lovers and are usually always near or on me when I am home.

This morning I got out of the shower and began to get ready for work when I heard that unmistakable low growl of a very angry cat.  I looked around for the source and saw MJ all puffed up, then suddenly lunged and chased Nug around the room, claws flying, really viscous stuff.  She continued to chase both Nug and Smalls until they were hiding out of sight under furniture.  I stared in disbelief as this, to me, came out of nowhere.  

Another thing that I feel is worth mentioning is there is an outside cat that regularly visits my window, and MJ has always growled and hissed at it from inside.  I think it may have gone to the window when I was in the shower, and caused MJ to freak out, but I have no idea if this is actually the case.

So now I am running late to work, but feel I need to deal with this.  I set up multiple bowls of food and water so MJ can not guard them, and I also moved a litter box over to where Smalls likes to hide, far away from the other boxes.  While I am doing this MJ continues to puff up and chase/attack Nug.  I decide to try and calm MJ down myself and pick her up while she is puffed up and hissing, half thinking she will turn on me.  She did not, and I brought her over to the couch to sit with her.  She curled up and stayed there while I asked her what in the world she was doing.

Nug then came out from hiding and over to MJ and I, causing her to growl.  I was able to sit with her and keep her on my lap but she was clearly upset.  At this point I had to leave for work, so I brought her away from Nug, set her down and waited for a minute until she sat down.  The rooms in the basement all have small openings where a cat can get through to the other room, and I didn't have time to construct barriers.  I will be going home on lunch to do just that and possibly separate MJ from the other two.

My question is, does this sound like jealousy or redirected aggression, or something else?  I feel like if it was redirected aggression from the cat outside, MJ would also growl/hiss/claw at me as well?  I really have no idea though and it's very heart breaking.  They have all gotten along so well for 3 years, being that its a mother and two litter-mates (other than the occasional swatting after I moved, four months ago).  I don't know what to do other than set up a vet appointment for MJ and try to keep them separated?  Would love some advice.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sneakylemon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

Went home on lunch to separate MJ from Nug & Smalls.  When I walked in I was greeted by MJ, who didn't seem as tense as this morning.  When Nug came up to me though, MJ growled, attacked and then chased Nug away.  I mistakenly tried to pick MJ up while she was doing this and made it much worse when she dodged me and ran after Nug.

I put her in a separate room with some food, water, a litter box and some blankets for a bed.  I'm really praying for a miracle that she will have calmed down by the time I get home.

Also. she seems the same around my parents dogs for the quick second she was around them when I had to take the dogs out.  She only seeks out and attacks the two other cats, if Nug and Smalls are out in the open, she will go for them.

At a loss.  I refuse to re-home any of them, I have bonded so much with them all it is just out of the question.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you're primarily dealing with redirected aggression, with a little bit of jockeying for position thrown in. Nug and Smalls are both fully fledged adults now, so there may be a minor power struggle for the alpha cat role going on. Momma still want to be the boss of the other two, but maybe Nug and Smalls aren't so sure that they likes that arrangement now they're all grown up!

Feliway multicat diffusers might help create a calmer atmosphere between the three of them. Plenty if interactive play for all three cats could also help, by redirecting all that energy in a positive way.[article="32390"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="30307"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article]

sneakylemon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for the links, very helpful. :)

When I got home today I let MJ out of her room and she seemed a little on edge but not too bad, until I went to cover up the window I believe the outside cat came to.  She all of sudden jumped up the cat tree next to the window and full on attacked me, clawing at my head.  When I moved away from the window she stopped and I was able to pet her and pick her up normally after a couple minutes.

I just picked up some plug-in diffuser things and put them near the window and by the room I will leave her in when I am not here.  I had MJ calmed down on the couch with me until Nug tried to come up causing a fight.  I wonder if I should just keep her in her room for a while longer?

I'll keep reading up, thanks again for the article links.

sneakylemon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I kept her separated all night, unfortunately not much has changed.

I set up an appointment with the vet today.  I don't think it's a medical issue, really sounds like the redirected aggression, but admittedly have no idea.  Will bringing her to the vet only stress her out more and make it worse?  Or is the benefit of ruling out any sort of illness worth that risk?

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's always a good move to rule out physical causes - especially in a sudden behaviour change.

It sounds like MJ is majorly stressed out at the moment :( She might really benefit from a calming supplement like Composure or Zylkene. These are non prescription, but vets do use them. Definitely something to discuss in the appointment.

Just to be clear - are Nug and Smalls being fine with MJ when she's not having a freak out? I ask simply because it might affect how best to move forward. The worst case scenario would be to separate them totally, and carry out introductions as though they'd never met before. I'm hoping it won't come to that though :cross:

As this outdoor cat seems to be triggering a lot of the freak outs, it would be a good idea to look into ways you can keep it away from your apartment. It can be almost impossible to create a calm household if an outdoor cat is continually creating anxiety.

Good luck with it all. Let us know what the vet says :vibes:

sneakylemon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went home quickly on lunch to check on them all.  I have MJ in a room blocked off with those child protector things; so that they can see through to each other but not actually get to one another.  The weird thing is that when I let MJ out, she seemed much more relaxed; high pitched chirps and meows when I greeted her and was ok around my parent's dogs.  When she saw Nug she did not initially start anything, until Nug went after her.  

Nug and Smalls haven't really been acting any different to her or in general up until this afternoon when I went home for lunch.  I don't know if they have just come to expect an attack from her and are now automatically defensive?  I think I am going to call my vet about the appointment, only because she seems much more calm and it's now Nug who is acting aggressively.  Whenever I bring one back from the vet they are always skittish around each other.

I covered up the windows and have them separated for now.  

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes when one cat freaks out to the extent that MJ has, the energy they're putting out is so different that the other cats cease to recognise them - they essentially become strangers. That's why reintroductions are sometimes needed.

With the vet, it can help to rub the cats down with a little vanilla extract - start with the two who stayed home, and use the same cloth for all 3. This can help by making them all smell the same - neutralising the 'scary' vet smell. I've never needed to try it myself, but many members have had success with this trick.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Let us know what the vet says.

sneakylemon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I got really busy with work yesterday and had to reschedule the vet for next week.

The good news is that things have settled down somewhat. I keep MJ in the separate room while I am at work and let her out when I get home. Last night she hissed at the others when she saw them but no charging. This morning she would only hiss at them if they were near the windows.

Today MJ only got upset when Nug or Smalls got really close. After a while she would just stop and stare at them until they moved on. As I was typing this she jumped up onto the couch with Nug and I and they hissed at each other but didn't fight. MJ is currently sleeping on the back of the couch while Nug and I sit here.

I think having them separated for a while and the feliway diffusers really helped. Thank you Columbine!

MJ as of right now :D

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SO glad things are starting to calm down between them :D Hopefully things will continue to improve :vibes:

Aww...MJ looks so chilled there :9: What a gorgeous girl :heart3: