Red sores on my cat's ear

maineau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just found these red sores and a bald spot (just to the right above the sores, edge of the ear). What could cause them and should I be worry? Thank you.
IMG_20210129_235117.jpg

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
The bald spot could be caused by ringworm. I'd get your kitty to the vet and have that checked. If you have other cats and this is ringworm, it could very easily spread to them as well, and ringworm is a huge pain to get rid of. Have you noticed him scratching his ear more than normal? The other redness may be caused by him constantly scratching at the ringworm (again, IF that's what this is).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like a scratch or bite that is starting to get infected. if it IS ringworm it will spread very quickly, in one day he could have several more spots. I would apply half water, half peroxide mixture and cleanse the area on a soft cloth, then apply a cat wound spray from your local farm supply store like Tractor Supply (applied the same way, soaking a small cloth with it, most cats are afraid of the spray), or human antibiotic (with NO pain relievers in it) for a couple of days and see if it starts to heal. If it gets bigger or worse, a vet would need to be seen. My cats used to get those a lot when they were allowed outside, cat scratches and bites are full of bacteria.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maineau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The bald spot could be caused by ringworm. I'd get your kitty to the vet and have that checked. If you have other cats and this is ringworm, it could very easily spread to them as well, and ringworm is a huge pain to get rid of. Have you noticed him scratching his ear more than normal? The other redness may be caused by him constantly scratching at the ringworm (again, IF that's what this is).
He is the only cat in the house. He does not seem to be irritated by the sores, no frequent scratching. My fingers can be very close to the spot and he would not flinch. I hope it is not ringworm....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maineau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks like a scratch or bite that is starting to get infected. if it IS ringworm it will spread very quickly, in one day he could have several more spots. I would apply half water, half peroxide mixture and cleanse the area on a soft cloth, then apply a cat wound spray from your local farm supply store like Tractor Supply (applied the same way, soaking a small cloth with it, most cats are afraid of the spray), or human antibiotic (with NO pain relievers in it) for a couple of days and see if it starts to heal. If it gets bigger or worse, a vet would need to be seen. My cats used to get those a lot when they were allowed outside, cat scratches and bites are full of bacteria.
Thanks for the remedies suggestion, I would give it a try and monitor this weekend. I don't see other bald or red spots yet. He goes outside daily for a short walk in front of my apartment.