Red-ish color poop

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, my cat ( 3 month , female ) was sick from ( 4/5 days , treatment from vet is going on) so because of her diarrhoea, i started giving her small amount of food now that she started eating again after few days. Today is the 2nd day she is eating and i changed her food from wiskas dry food with water to me-o wet food and after changing the poop color is red like how mixed fruit jam looks ( in color) . Could be it dye? I’m little concerned. She has been sick from few days having diarrhoea,vomiting( not anymore) , no appetite and weight loss.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. An abrupt change in food can cause some blood in the stools, and usually doesn't last once a cat's digestive system adjusts. The color of the food also impacts the color of the stool as well. Is the new food similar in color? So, it could be one or the other, a combination of both, and/or something else like the meds she is on. The stool still looks a little 'soupy'.

This kitten is still pretty young, so I would recommend you contact the vet and tell them what is going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes the new food is similar in color, its red-brown in color. I gave her wiskas food yesterday and till today morning and she had brown poop but as soon as i changed it to me-o in the afternoon, this color started. I totally forgot to slowly introduce new food as i was giving it only in very small quantity since she has diarrhea. Any recommendations on what and how do i feed her? She has got her blood test done with little bit increase in BUN level, stool sample is all good and so are xray’s! She has been dewormed and uptodate on vaccine. I’m new cat parent and kinda worried.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can see a change in the stool color based on the food, then that likely is the culprit. At the age of your kitten, especially with some diarrhea going on, she should be on kitten food. It is generally higher in calories and nutrients for growing kittens.

BUN increase is often related to stress, so I wouldn't worry about that too much either.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh alright and yes she is on kitten food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just keep an eye on it and watch to make sure she picks up on her eating. She should really have food available all the time, so no reason you can't feed her both the dry and wet at her age.

RudrakshS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she is having diarrhoea , i should give small amount every 2-3 hours right? Or there should be food all the time in the bowl? Little confused on what you said.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not knowing exactly what is causing the diarrhea but considering all of her tests have come out looking pretty good, I'd say let her eat as much as she wants. Leaving out some dry food for her to eat whenever she wants and then feeding her wet food as many times as you want is appropriate for such a young kitten.