Red eye

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Does the rescue or whomever has him know anything about his past? You said he had a rough time out there. I have seen this in cats who were hit by blunt objects or cars or suffered other external trauma to the eye. How is his overall health and eye condition otherwise? It is great that you want to give him a good life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gomie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does the rescue or whomever has him know anything about his past? You said he had a rough time out there. I have seen this in cats who were hit by blunt objects or cars or suffered other external trauma to the eye. How is his overall health and eye condition otherwise? It is great that you want to give him a good life!
The animal shelter doesn't know too much about his past, other than they rescued him from a kill shelter in Kansas. They said he had ear mites at one point, which explains his ear, but that has since resolved. I made the same post in some cat Facebook groups that I'm in and a lot of people had the same opinion as Furballsmom Furballsmom , that it may just be an old injury. His eye isn't gunky or anything like that.

Good news, though! We adopted him! I'm picking him up tomorrow morning. I'll take him to have a wellness checkup at my vet and I'll update my post once I have an answer about his eye. :)

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful boy!! I bet he will be happy as a clam with you. ❤

Just a side note, while it is rare, blood pressure can cause capillaries in the eye to rupture. We had a cat that happened to, but weren't aware until it reoccurred. If it happens again, it may be worth getting a blood pressure check. Otherwise I agree, it just might be from an old injury.

Do you have a name picked out yet? Or keeping the name from the shelter? I just can't get over how absolutely adorable he is. 🥰

gomie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update! We did adopt him. His name was Sandman, but now he's Valentino, since he's such a lover. Plus "Valentino" signifies strength and health. 😊

He's had one of our extra bedrooms to himself since last Saturday, so about 10 days. I took him to the vet on Sunday, got a blood and stool sample tested just to make sure he doesn't have anything he could spread to our other cats. I just got a call from the vet with the test results, so he's good to go! The vet even called his results "excellent." 😍

I have two other cats in the home right now. We had a third named Rudy, but he passed away on June 26. It's been hard for us emotionally, but also because he acted as a buffer between the remaining two cats. Gomez, my 6 year old
baby, is a spoiled little brat who just wants to luxuriate and be left alone. Zsa Zsa, on the other hand, is our "forever kitten" (she's 2 years old, 8 pounds, still has major kitten energy) and she is going crazy with pent up energy! Rudy, our cat that passed, was her playmate. And Gomez is not going to play with her, haha.

So we were very intentional when choosing a new cat. We wanted one that seemed relax, but also could be playful. Valentino was in the open cat area at the shelter, so we knew he did well with other cats. All of the girls at the shelter were happy to see Valentino get adopted, but they all expressed that they would miss him. That's a testament to how sweet he really is.

All of that being said, I think Gomez and Zsa Zsa are excited to meet Valentino. I've let them look at each other from a distance and they're all very comfortable and just curious, not aggressive.

So my entertainment tonight is going to be letting them all finally meet. I'm so excited!

gomie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Just checking in to let everyone know that Valentino is doing great. It took some time before everyone was totally comfortable with each other, but the kitties are all besties now. In the picture is Valentino and Gomez.

We think Valentino must have lived on the street at some point. My husband says that Val probably had his fun out on the streets and we're his retirement plan, which we are more than happy to provide him with a comfortable life. :)

Fun fact about Val - he's about 90% deaf! (I made up that percentage.) But he really is mostly deaf and it took us a little while to pick up on it. He doesn't really react to any noises, even if you're right behind him and call his name. We've seen him barely acknowledge REALLY LOUD noises. We think he only hears out of his non-crinkled ear because we'll call his name loudly from the other side of him and he still looks in the direction of where that good ear is pointing. It's really adorable.

He's a huge lover. When he rubs up against our legs, he puts all of his body into it and rams into us until he nearly falls over.

When we first got him, he activated my allergies HARD. I'd never had any sort of allergy to a cat before, but even being near him made my eyes itch and water like crazy. I was determined to make it work, so we were mindful of the type of food that we fed him and we also gave him "baths" with with this foam spray. These changes made a noticeable difference, and after awhile of having Val on good food and brushing him regularly, his coat slowly started to improve. These days his coat is just as soft as the other cats' and I don't need to use any of those special allergy products anymore.

Val has been an excellent addition to our family. We are blessed to have found him. :lovecat:

Val.png

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awwww, so wonderful to hear!! Isn't it amazing what a good diet will do for a coat? Our newer family member (adopted May of last year) had such a burly rough coat, it made my skin itch. He didn't have much of a history to share either, other than he was surrendered. I often wonder about his past, and have to glean things just from what we observe - just how you do with Valentino.

I always say, they pick us - we don't pick them. ❤ So glad everything is going so well!! ☺