Red, bald patch appeared on cat's leg...

ernest2012

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, 

My cat, Ernest, is almost 3 years old and an indoor cat. He's never spent any time outdoors. A very sheltered fellow. Last night I discovered this pink, bald patch on his back leg. I've checked what it could be on the internet and there seem to be a hundred different options. I'll likely take him to the vet later today but first wanted to get any opinions on what this could be. 

Thanks!

Tianna

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:cross: that it's not ringworm! Let us know what the vet says. It's such a perfect circle, I'm very curious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ernest2012

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Went to vet... turns out he has fleas and he's been scratching himself in this patch. I never imagined an indoor cat would get fleas but we often leave the door cracked open a bit so he can watch neighbor catch walk past. Seems fleas from them must have jumped onto him :(

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I'm glad it's not ringworm! I know that can be a pain to treat. Odd that he's only scratching this one spot raw like that. At least it's not a huge infestation. Ernest must have looked like a tastier option. :)

My cats are mostly indoor cats but we take them out on walks, so they get Advantage in the spring and summer. We don't need to use it all year in our climate. They did get some fleas a few years ago and that's why we started it. It's been very effective and we haven't had problems since. It wasn't hard to get rid of all the fleas in the apartment either. Hopefully it will be easy for you too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ernest2012

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for that tip about Advantage, I'll look into it!

I forgot to say that the vet said he must've had an allergic reaction to the bites which is why he was scratching in that area... she gave him a shot of Cortisone and a monthly pill to take called Comfortis. And she suggested using boric acid on the carpets to get rid of lurking fleas. 

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your vet meant 20 mile team borax. I'm almost certain boric acid is toxic to cats.

I bought Precor 2000 online and so far so good. You need to vsccuum every single day, and treat your sofa etc as well.