Recurring stomatitis after complete dental extractions in brothers

QooQooQitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings;

I am mew to the Forum, and I realize meds, diets, and the like can be 'borderline' topics for non-professional or 'lay' people.

I do hope I am not out of bounds in asking for some OPINIONS and IDEAS. I have written to our vet, and have spoken with staff at the animal hospital we use as a back-up, but have yet to really get any information.

We've a pair of brothers about nine to ten years old. One have been inside for a few years after being found near death locked in a neighbor's shed. The other has been inside a few months after becoming SOOOO matted his long fur was one big knot. We would also notice him just walking along and suddenly just cry out and scratch at the sky, and ten be OK.

Well, the BOTH have developed sever cases of stomatitis, and subsequently have had all their teeth removed. Cumi (Cumulus), the longer time inside one, was on Prednisolone so long he is now diabetic and gets .5 'units' of Insulin daily. His consumption has been up and down, and often Patty must hand feed him to finish up enough for him to get the 'calories' needed prior to the injection.

And lately, his mouth was VERY inflamed again.

Nimbi (Nimbus) had all his teeth extracted EXCEPThis fangs and between them. And he was ulcerated within two weeks. After the second set of 'log acting combo shots', antihistamine, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic, he had those last ones removed.

We have just had him it YET AGAIN, for the second time since the LAST of the teeth were taken.

ANY hints on diet, supplements, vitamins, to control these outbursts would be appreciated.

We are working with the hospital and veterinarian to be able to acquire the shot from them, and allow US to inject. I did saline hydrations for a couple years on a couple cats, and I am the one to daily dose the insulin, as well as the periodic oral dosing of Prednisolone and Gabapentin.

So that is nothing new to me.

Their mother, Cloud, brought them here years ago after they were weaned. She left shortly after as did Stratus. Cirrus was killed by loose dogs about 6 years ago.
Cumulus Nimbus and Stratus-72x600.jpg
cumulus_face.jpg
nimbus-1-05-23-2020-72x600.jpg
cumulus_face.jpg
cumulus_face.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QooQooQitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How 'deep' could the infection get that the 'time-release' meds still aren't gettin to the core inflammation/infection?

We have been waiting until we see him not eating before getting him new shots. We are hoping to be PRO-active and be able to dose him at first onset, or just on a time based schedule - every three weeks. The shots work - for a spell.

I'll have to confirm with the vet, but perhaps we ought to dose him again in TWO weeks and then again in TWO weeks to see if we can't get to the core of the infection.

I also thought I had seen someplace that it can be like a Herpes, that will come and go the rest of his/their lives WITHOUT any warning or 'solution', only 'bandaids' as needed.

Thank mew for the reply. And the compliment on the pics.

(=^..^=)

QooQooQitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will have to check with the vet.

Between the two of them, in a matter of months, have burned both of out 'stimulus' checks, and all of our tax returns, that was supposed to supplement us fo 8-9months.

They alone have been about $5-6K.

We have two others that were showing significant weight loss. One was $500 for his exam, and he has a plaque issue that the hosp wants $400 to rectify.

So any suggestions on PLAQUE control are appreciated.

CBD may ease pain, but I don't know about the infection and ulceration of his oral tissue.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here are a couple of threads regarding things that might help with the actual stomatitis. Things that have helped other cats:

Stomatitis

Cat with stomatitis

AND, last but not least, today anyway, ask your Vet if they know anything about the clinical trials that UC Davis Veterinary School is doing on Stem Cell Therapy for stomatitis in cats. They finished one of the clinical trials last November and may be working on another. I know I recently read something on that,, but of course can't find that article. Here's something about the November trial:

Stem cell therapy for feline chronic gingivo-stomatitis

QooQooQitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are a couple of threads regarding things that might help with the actual stomatitis. Things that have helped other cats:

Stomatitis

Cat with stomatitis

AND, last but not least, today anyway, ask your Vet if they know anything about the clinical trials that UC Davis Veterinary School is doing on Stem Cell Therapy for stomatitis in cats. They finished one of the clinical trials last November and may be working on another. I know I recently read something on that,, but of course can't find that article. Here's something about the November trial:

Stem cell therapy for feline chronic gingivo-stomatitis
And thank MEW!!!!!!!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline chronic lymphocytic plasmacytic gingivostomatitis This site helped me with my boy who had stomatitis. Because I knew that removal of the teeth does not always take care of the problem, I did a lot of research. Boo did have some teeth removed, but I never had all of them removed - only the ones that were loose when he was diagnosed. He lived for about 7 - 8 years after diagnosis with periodic treatment. We controlled it with diet, pulse doses of antibiotics, and slippery elm/honey mix.