Recurring Limp

shinjachan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to listen. I have a 1 year old cat who is tiny for his age- 7 pounds- and one or two weeks ago my family and I noticed he was limping and not putting any weight on his front right paw. We took him immediately to the vets who put him on painkiller and told us to call them again if the limp didn't get better. It did, but the process was slow and he still had a veeeerry light limp yesterday when I woke up this morning and found that the limp returned and he's no longer placing any weight on his front right paw again.

He's still acting the same- running, eating, jumping and being a general nuisance to his sister.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

Thank you,
S.C.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet take x-rays?

Cats can suffer breaks if they jump from a very high place.... or at the very least, a bad sprain. 

Either way, I'm surprised they didn't at least wrap the leg and tell you to keep him off it (kennel) for a few weeks. 

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Check his paw pads for cuts or splinters. Also check his nails. Sometimes claws get real long and curve back into the paw pad. Kind of like human ingrown toenails. If this is the case then clip his nails and it should be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shinjachan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They examined him and said there didn't seem to be a cause for x-rays. I'm taking him again today so I guess I'll ask if they can wrap the leg since he has so much energy and wants to run around no matter what. Even keeping him in a room by himself didn't stop him from chasing the curtains or tracking a bug. If anything, it made him even more hyper.

Also, it doesn't seem to be an issue with his nails. I'll let you know what the vet says!

Thank you.

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your furbaby is a lot younger than mine was when it happen but I had a cat who suddenly began limping one day.   But he was older than yours.  Probably around 8 yrs old when it first happen. I remember it becoming so bad he wouldnt use the paw at all and instead hopped around.  I remember panicking at the time because it happen late at night so I didn't know what to do.  

My vet examined him and found nothing broken, prescribed a painkiller and it slowly got better but he always seemed to favor that leg as he got older.   He was probably a bit overweight so I always figured that was why.  I think my vet said it may be arthritis   It never got as bad as it did that first time with him hopping around but his limp would come and go in various degrees over the years I had him. 

Good luck at the vet :) 

shinjachan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! We're getting an X-ray for him tomorrow.
Just in case someone else is having the same issue, I'll post what happens.

shinjachan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for asking.
The Xray exam has been postponed to this friday so I guess that's when we'll find out.
I'm really worried it's a ligament tear.

shinjachan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet took the Xray, and there still is no diagnosis on the right leg limp.

He did, however, find something in the left leg that might be either be a broken elbow bone or arthritis. (!!)  We'll be taking the tiny one to an orthopedic soon, where they'll taken another look at the Xrays.  Surgery is the most likely outcome.

Thanks,

S.C. 

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good thing both legs were in the picture. That was a smart thing to do.

Your kitty is lucky to have such a good parent.

Good luck to both of you.

shinjachan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, that's so sweet of you to say.  Thanks for the encouragement!