Recurring issue of cat's butt leaking mucus/fluid

nidaho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone else has had this with their cat, or might have a suggestion. My cat Leia, a shorthaired tortie who is about 4 years old, has this seemingly recurring issue of leaking a brownish or red-tinged mucus (sometimes more a jelly consistency, sometimes more liquidy) from her anus, randomly throughout the day. I have seen the vet about it a couple times now. Last time they expressed her anal glands and gave us probiotics to use for I think about a week, thinking that should clear it up. However, it hasn't really seemed to clear up completely, or has started up again... Over the past few weeks I've been finding little spots on the window sills or on the floor where she's been sitting, making it clear she's having that problem again. She is on a vet prescribed diet (has been for a couple years now), which is Hills c/d multicare + metabolic, she is at a healthy weight, and generally seems very content (other than the occassional tortitude). I try to mix in a small amount, about 1/4 tsp, of Metamucil into their food once a day, also recommended by the vet. Any suggestions on things I should try for her at home? Is it best to see the vet again? Just want her to be done with this but the few vet trips for this particular issue haven't seemed to provide a long-term solution. TIA!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it definitely anal gland secretions? Some cats may need a little help getting the goo out otherwise they leak. You can express the glands yourself at home. It may be a two person job and definitely one that requires paper towels on hand to clean up the cat and any goo that shoots out. I'd do this in the bathroom where any mess can be easily cleaned up. The vet can show you how to express the glands or Google for instructions and even videos of how to do this.

Probiotics won't help with anal gland issues. It only encourages good bacteria in the gut. Probiotics are fine to give but won't help the anal glands.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How are her stools? Are they soft or firm?

If her stools aren't firm enough, then it won't be able to express her anal glands each time she defecates. This means the anal glands will continue to fill up and as a result ooze, as you have noticed.

Has the vet ruled out the possibility of infection in the anal glands? Antibiotics, not probiotics, would be needed to clear that up, and its a very common issue which causes the discharge you described.

Is she neutered? If not, I would seriously consider the possibility that the discharge could be from pyometra, an infection in the uterus.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My understanding that if it's anal glands causing this, the secretion would be extremely stinky. If it isn't, then that's probably not the issue.