Recovery From Uti?

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat, Mitu, is battling a UTI right now. He is on his 8 day of antibiotics and he is still going to pee around 5 times a day. He is also on a special diet food for crystals, he hasn't been peeing blood for 2 days now.
Does anyone have an idea of how long the recovery takes? Is it still normal for him to pee this much a day? I'm scared that his UTI is coming back, is that even possible?
My vet is closed tomorow so I can't call them but I'm panicking a bit because I thought he would stop peeing this much by now.
Can someone give me a piece of advice?
Thank you.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I were more knowledgeable but I suspect that if he's on antibiotics and a food intended for urinary crystals then you're doing all you can for little Mitu. I think he'll be fine until Monday when you can call and update your veterinarian.

He's very lucky to have such a concerned parent!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I were more knowledgeable but I suspect that if he's on antibiotics and a food intended for urinary crystals then you're doing all you can for little Mitu. I think he'll be fine until Monday when you can call and update your veterinarian.

He's very lucky to have such a concerned parent!
Thank you:) I just wish I know if it's normal. I also am giving him 99% wet food with water in it so maybe that makes him pee a bit more, but I'm still panicking.

Adrienne Garcia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! The same is happening to my cat. He just finished two weeks of medication. I brought him to the vet for a follow up check up three days ago and they said he should be fine already. He's still on Hills c/d and he's eating well (he eats a lot), he still plays but the only thing I'm worried about is how often he pees. He doesn't only pee in his litter box. He pees everywhere (very frequently) but in small amounts. Is this normal behavior for recovering cats?

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! The same is happening to my cat. He just finished two weeks of medication. I brought him to the vet for a follow up check up three days ago and they said he should be fine already. He's still on Hills c/d and he's eating well (he eats a lot), he still plays but the only thing I'm worried about is how often he pees. He doesn't only pee in his litter box. He pees everywhere (very frequently) but in small amounts. Is this normal behavior for recovering cats?
Hi, my cat is recovering as well. He was on antibiotics for only 10 days. After he finished the pulls I went with pee sample to the vet twice. First was better but still showed some crystals in it, second ( after 1 week or so) was clean. Now he only pees twice a day.
For your question, I think it depends on when you finished the antibiotics. My cat was still peeing a lot after he finished them, I think around 6 times a day but he got better by the day. But he stoped peeing outside the box before he finished his medications. I also only gave him the wet food my vet prescribed and not the dry because the more water he takes in the faster it cleans his infection out, I only now started giving him dry but I still prefer to feed mostly wet. I hear this depends from cat to cat, some cats recover faster and in some it takes some time.
Did your vet do a urine analyse and it came back clean?
I called my vet every time I was worried and asked if that normal or not, they were very nice about it.
I think if his pee is clean, then he is slowly getting back to normal, it just takes a bit of time, but you should ask his vet, he would k ow way more then me.
I hope he gets better soon.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Urinating outside the litter box is sort of normal for cats after a UTI. They tend to associate the box with painful urination and try to avoid it. Most get back in the grove though after the infection goes away.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is recovering! I would only worry if a kitty wasn't peeing, as that would mean blockage (an emergency medical situation). UTI's are so common in kitties, at least you know what to look for and it sounds like the meds did the trick! Glad he is on special diet.

Adrienne Garcia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat is recovering as well. He was on antibiotics for only 10 days. After he finished the pulls I went with pee sample to the vet twice. First was better but still showed some crystals in it, second ( after 1 week or so) was clean. Now he only pees twice a day.
For your question, I think it depends on when you finished the antibiotics. My cat was still peeing a lot after he finished them, I think around 6 times a day but he got better by the day. But he stoped peeing outside the box before he finished his medications. I also only gave him the wet food my vet prescribed and not the dry because the more water he takes in the faster it cleans his infection out, I only now started giving him dry but I still prefer to feed mostly wet. I hear this depends from cat to cat, some cats recover faster and in some it takes some time.
Did your vet do a urine analyse and it came back clean?
I called my vet every time I was worried and asked if that normal or not, they were very nice about it.
I think if his pee is clean, then he is slowly getting back to normal, it just takes a bit of time, but you should ask his vet, he would k ow way more then me.
I hope he gets better soon.
I took him to the vet just yesterday and they said what he was feeling is pretty normal. They did a CBC on him and the results showed that his immune system. They gave him meds again but mostly for his immune system so I'm guessing he just needs more time to heal? How long did it take your cat to pee normally again? The vets mentioned that it can take awhile for UTI to heal. Just like UTI for humans. Thanks for your reply!

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took him to the vet just yesterday and they said what he was feeling is pretty normal. They did a CBC on him and the results showed that his immune system. They gave him meds again but mostly for his immune system so I'm guessing he just needs more time to heal? How long did it take your cat to pee normally again? The vets mentioned that it can take awhile for UTI to heal. Just like UTI for humans. Thanks for your reply!
So my cat was on antibiotics for 10 days, close to finishing the pills he started to feel better but he wasn't back to normal...it took maybe about 2 more weeks for him to only pee 2 times a day like he is now. As I said, on those weeks I did took pee sample to the vet, just to make sure his pee is clean. I only give him the food my vet said to give him and mostly wet food so it could clean hos system. He still has problems with his poop being to soft but I am giving him probiotics for that.
Your cat will start feeling better day by day if everything in his pee was normal:) it just takes a bit