Recovery From Struvites

nissie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

So around the end of May, the cleanest cat in the world starting peeing every-f***-where. We took him to the vet, and sure enough, he had struvites. He had a shot of convenia, then some anti-inflammatory medication. We came home with the c/d urinary Hills prescription diet, and he adjusted to it just fine. We dumped water on it and he drank it until he got to the food.

After one month, we switched him back to his regular food (because we were told it was fine by the technician, the vet being on vacation). Two weeks later, he's peeing drops all over the house, worse than before.

Our vet being still out of town, we went to another clinic. Again, struvites and blood in the urine. Another shot of convenia, anti-inflammatory pills and that muscle relaxer they give (anti-spasmodic I think?). He peed himself that night. Then on the floor of the bathroom. We just locked him there, but he is strong and banged on the door ALL NIGHT, so it is not ideal.

The next day we washed him, and let him go free. He still strains to pee, but we were guessing the anti-spasmodic and anti-inflammatory mix would stop any damage from said straining. Now it's day 5 and last day of medication, and he still strains. Like, I can see him contract and long streams do go out when he does, but I know it's not ideal. I'm just not sure whether it's normal? Also he starts peeing in the litter box and migrates to the floor and then the hallway. If we close the door, he sometimes sits in his pee, then meows because he is obviously miserable. At least he isn't peeing in corners like before the vet, but I'm still worried because I have limited funds but I want him to be good, so this whole damned thing is stressing me out.

Naturally, he is back on c/d urinary and water. He's turning three soon.

Please help T_T

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stress is one of the worst things for cats with this issue, so locking him up may be making it worse. I know, I know, it's a catch 22, because you don't want urine all over the place, but I'm telling you, it's a fact.

It truly seems like he went off the prescription food too soon, as I'm guessing you may have figured out. WHAT was his regular food that you went back to? You mentioned he's on an antibiotic, and an anti-spasmodic/anti-inflammatory mix, but what about pain pills? That might be necessary too. Also, try giving him a different litter box, maybe with different litter, even perhaps just a puppy pad inside it, or MOVE his current litter box(es) to different locations. Cats with this issues relate their boxes with pain so are reluctant to use them. (I'd get him on painkillers first though)

Be sure to clean all the places where he has gone outside the box with a good enzymatic cleaner too, or he'll be drawn to those spots.

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nissie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He went back to his Blue Wilderness kibble. I'm not making THAT mistake again.
We have cleaned him and the house, and I will be picking up painkillers on Monday. For the time being he is free to roam and hasn't peed anywhere but the litter (I'm keeping it SUPER CLEAN and that he seems to appreciate).

It really is the straining that worries me, though. How fast is that supposed to go away? He went to the vet last Monday, so they wouldn't give him another shot of Convenia or anything, but should I take him back?

Thank you so much for your help.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Convenia lasts for two weeks, so I can see why he can't have another shot of that yet.

As far as the straining goes, as long as he is producing urine, he should be ok. If that stops, then he must be seen asap.

Here's another article that might help about urinary issues: Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd)