Recovering from Urinary Blockage & Diet

r32grrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone - Our almost two year old kitty had a urinary blockage on August 14th. We took him to an emergency vet and they put a catheter in but closed at 8am so we had to get him and took him to our regular vet. He had pulled out his catheter right before we got him so the regular vet just monitored him. He wasn’t going pee until they actually gave him water then he peed and they sent him home. He was prescribed pain meds and Prazosin as well as Royal Canin Urinary SO dry food (since I told them he only likes dry food).

I’ve done a pretty good amount of research and everything says that he needs to have wet food and moisture to prevent this from happening again plus other health benefits. Have also read that Prazosin doesn’t help and gives him a higher chance or reoccurrence. I was hesitant to give him the Prazosin after reading that but thought he should try and gave it to him once. He became noticeably worse (taking longer to pee, just sitting down in his pee after going with his leg up, in more pain) so I stopped.

He’s been peeing really good everyday several times a day since. He doesn’t really like wet food and isn’t drinking a lot of water so we’ve been giving him water with a syringe. So he’s been having water, eating some of the urinary dry food, has been having urinary drops from two crazy cat ladies and has been having tiki cat broths and the churu cream treats. He seems a little bummed out sometimes and isn’t eating or drinking as much as before but still is.

Question is, we saw the vet for a re-check today and she said that free feeding / grazing was fine, that dry food was fine and to not give him the broth because it will dilute the prescription dry food? But I can put water in it? He won’t eat it like that, I give him the broth (has a little solid chicken in it) separately. She also said to stop giving him water with a syringe. Everything I’ve read is the opposite of what this vet said. Just wondering what you guys think about that and if anyone knows if giving him other food will cause the prescription food to not work? Maybe should use chanca piedra instead of the prescription dry food?

Thank you so much for any help!

B9D97E72-4B73-4558-AA19-B384D9795292.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
Do you have a way to find a different vet in a different clinic?
Moisture/hydration is incredibly important. I've never before heard a concern of diluting the prescription food, and as you mentioned, it doesn't make sense to be able to use water but not the broth.

Maybe should use chanca piedra instead of the prescription dry food?
Well, maybe, but he doesn't have stones.

What about Hydra Care, and the baby food soup in this article:
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

r32grrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Do you have a way to find a different vet in a different clinic?
Moisture/hydration is incredibly important. I've never before heard a concern of diluting the prescription food, and as you mentioned, it doesn't make sense to be able to use water but not the broth.

Well, maybe, but he doesn't have stones.

What about Hydra Care, and the baby food soup in this article:
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles
Thank you so much for your reply, yes we will definitely be looking for a new vet! I feel like this vet wants him to be sick so they can pump more and more money out of us.

I looked at the ingredients of this prescription food and it doesn’t seem good at all - first ingredient is chicken by product, there’s vegetable oil and corn in it as well. They say it dissolves crystals in 1-3 months, is there anything else that dissolves crystals, maybe some kind of supplement? I thought the chanca piedra would work for that but yeah seems like it’s for stones, he had (has?) struvite crystals.

Thank you so much for the link that is very helpful, I didn’t see the baby food soup there though but have read about so will look around some more for that 😺 Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

r32grrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was any testing done - urinalysis, blood work, x-ray?

Previous threads related to chanca peidra. Search Results for Query: chanca piedra | TheCatSite
Yes that was all done at the emergency vet, they were supposed to have sent all the results to the regular vet so they could continue care but no one went over any of the results with us.

The emergency vet only told us that he did not have a UTI, that they didn’t see any obstruction or problems with his stomach/intestines (we originally thought he ate something he shouldn’t have and was stuck the way he was acting) and that they found crystals in his urine and grit.

He had gone pee the day before and they were able to get a few drops out of him when we first got to the emergency vet but they finally found that he had the urinary blockage but we had caught it early.

Thank you so much for the link, will definitely read up on that more!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I didn’t see the baby food soup there though
Here it is :) my Poppycat likes it with less water 👍
  • Most cats enjoy “baby food soup” as a treat. Mix a teaspoon of meat-only baby food with up to one-quarter cup of water. Warm water will enhance the flavor. (Baby food is not a balanced diet for a cat and should not exceed 10% of the total daily food intake).