Recommended Flea Tablets?

luceroslullaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello my dumb cats have contracted fleas I wanted to give them flea tablets since my sister's dog had been taking some and they worked great and lasted each a whole month of protection. until he ran out and came in one day and spread them to the cats. his mom is trying to get him some more from his vet and when I asked if they had tablets for cats they said they only had the liquid types you put on their back. I know it's a little silly but I've always been kind of scared of using those especially when you hear horror stories about owners that used like hertz or something. the vet told me we could try the capguards but they are pretty much single use and don't offer month protection. do any of y'all know any safe pills that last long or should I just go with capguards?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Capstar only lasts a day or so, I didn't have much luck with it. I like Frontline Plus, it goes on the back of the neck and lasts a month. The Hartz one with the Etofenprox in it is the dangerous one, never use that one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luceroslullaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ask the vet for a prescription, if they don't carry the pills. There are several brands available.
yeah they don't carry them what brands are there? they only advised the capguard

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
There are several good products on the market that are very safe and effective. Available from your vet, these products can be used orally (Program) or topically Advantage Flea Control For Cats or Frontline Plus Flea And Tick Control to inhibit various stages of the fleas' life cycle.
While there are other products in the form of drops, sprays, collars and shampoos that can be used to fight fleas, and cheaper as well as available over the counter, many of these are either not safe enough or simply ineffective.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frontline Plus is available over the counter now, since the patent ran out. It is the same exact product that is sold at the vet.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always liked Revolution too. Also remember you can bring fleas in on your pant legs, they can hop in, etc. Even if the dog doesn't come around they can still pick up fleas. It just takes two before you have an infestation plus the eggs can lay dormant in your carpet, cracks in the floor, etc for a long time so vacuum. Also keep a flea collar in the vacuum bag (never on the cat!!) so if you suck up any fleas they will die.