Recommended Diet?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I freeze my meat/liver/kidney only because I make up a batch that lasts 14 to 21 days, not to kill parasites. But when making a fresh batch, I don't freeze the first two days' worth before feeding it to Ritz. Course I keep it in the refrigerator until then.
PS: Giblets and heats aren't considered organs when feeding raw. Are you also feeding a secreting organ, such as kidney?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flambardslover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok great thank you! Yes I bought kidney and liver as well. Still having a hard time getting them to eat bone, but I bought some chicken wings so we are going to try those as well as the ribs today to see if they will have any of that. 

If they won't eat the bones for now (it has only been a week of raw feeding), what should I do? Would bone meal be recommended until they start eating bones?

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use bone meal or ground egg shell for calcium. Rad Cat says there can be problems with ground bone, so they use eggshell. I suppose there's opposing arguments, though.

http://www.radfood.com/faq/why_does_rad_cat_use_bone_meal_instead_of_ground-in_bone

The bone/eggshell is how calcium is worked into the diet. It is really important to provide a source of calcium and in proper ratios to phosphorus, so please address this issue with your growing kitten ASAP. The raw forum can address your questions more specifically.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would opt for e.g. shells, cheaper than bone meal. And essentially free if you eat eggs. And egg yolks are a useful supplement to raw feeding. Several threads cover how to use eggs shells or bone meal. On kindle so can't link.