Recommendations for wet cat food

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, so my cat has been on merrick purrfect bistro duck pate for a while now, it's his fave food and he won't eat others really, and only duck, he isn't fond of other flavours really. But recently, it has been out of stores for a bit and it came back but he doesn't seem to want it today, it does smell stronger and looks darker as well, I'm unsure if maybe they changed the formula but the ingredients are the same and not expired either. Are there any other grain free, preferably meal free, and pate wet cat foods out there that have duck? I am in Canada, and I don't see too many options for cans that are healthy. Thanks in advance!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Are you looking for duck flavored cat food only? I don't know if these are available in Canada, nor if you would consider them healthy, but you could look up the ingredients by doing a search on the internet.
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness, which seemed to be very close in consistency to the Merrick one. I tried both with my cat and she liked them equally well until she stopped liking food with just duck in them. The Blue Buffalo does have carrageenan in it (one of the gums a lot of people steer away from).
- Wellness Core Tiny Tasters, but the texture/consistency is a bit different, and my cat didn't 'approve'.
- Instinct has one too, but my cat wasn't a fan of it either.

I am sure other members will come along soon with some more suggestions!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Are you looking for duck flavored cat food only? I don't know if these are available in Canada, nor if you would consider them healthy, but you could look up the ingredients by doing a search on the internet.
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness, which seemed to be very close in consistency to the Merrick one. I tried both with my cat and she liked them equally well until she stopped liking food with just duck in them. The Blue Buffalo does have carrageenan in it (one of the gums a lot of people steer away from).
- Wellness Core Tiny Tasters, but the texture/consistency is a bit different, and my cat didn't 'approve'.
- Instinct has one too, but my cat wasn't a fan of it either.

I am sure other members will come along soon with some more suggestions!
I know his favourite is duck and he doesn't like chicken at all but he doesn't mind tuna sometimes, and turkey sometimes but he usually gobbles down duck

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wellness Core also has a turkey & duck pate that you could try. My cat liked that for a while too, and the consistency is more like Merrick. It has alfalfa meal in it just like Merrick though.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Beyond has a duck and sweet potato pate that my cats enjoy. It's even at Loblaws brand stores.

If you have a Ren's pets near you, they have a lot of the more boutique options like Duck, Lamb etc. They do also ship to most places.

I believe Go! has a Duck pate. (Canadian brand, usually available at "mom-and-pop" shops.

Fromm should still have a Duck pate as well. They don't sell their food at big-box stores so you'll have to check their website. I also don't know if their wet food contains legumes; their dry food did.

The Honest Kitchen has a chicken and duck or something like that.

You and I have different opinions of healthy so I'm afraid I don't have many particular options for you. You'll have to check if any of the ones I listed as still grain free as I don't keep them in regular stock, if at all.

It is usually recommended to find a couple brands and flavours for your cat to rotate through to ensure they will eat during shortages.

What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets | VCA | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals

Rotation Diet for Cats: Benefits, How To, & More! | Conscious Cat

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner All those are available in Canada :) at least in the provinces. The territories may have limits on what they can get.