Recommendations for a different dry food

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Mattie has been eating Purina Complete Cat Chow and I want to transition her to something else.  Any suggestions anyone. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's your price range? What stores are available? Are you (and she) willing to go with canned food or pre-made raw?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Price, mid-range.  I live forty five minutes from the nearest Pet Smart.  I usually go to town once a week or so.  Locally we have Food Lion and nothing else. I would rather not do raw.  This food is for my Mattie.  She gets lysine two times a day in just enough wet food to blend it.

I was thinking it would be easier to transition her to another dry food.  I don't want to cause her any major stomach issues.

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good for Mattie 

If you have a Tractor Supply in town,

their 4Health is a better quality food than many more expensive brands.

If no TSC, look for Evolve at Wal Mart,

or online at PetFoodDirect.com.

Once again, a better quality food that is priced less than many supposedly "premium" brands.

If you will buy from Petsmart,

I'd go with Blue Buffalo Spa Select Chicken or

Blue Buffalo Wilderness (Chicken or Duck).

As you are likely aware, it is easier on her tummy if you begin the change by adding some new food to her Purina,

and gradually increasing the proportion of the new food until you can finish the Purina.

Thanks for taking good care of Mattie! 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More canned food is better, especially as she ages (keeps her kidneys and bladder flushed out). I'd recommend at least 50/50 wet/dry.

If you're absolutely stuck with brands you can get at a grocery store, Purina Cat Chow Naturals is probably the best you can get there. Otherwise I agree with the above suggestions :D.

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
More canned food is better, especially as she ages (keeps her kidneys and bladder flushed out). I'd recommend at least 50/50 wet/dry.
If you're absolutely stuck with brands you can get at a grocery store, Purina Cat Chow Naturals is probably the best you can get there. Otherwise I agree with the above suggestions
Good advice from Willowy, as always...  

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was trying to get away from the Purina brands because of the thread I have been reading here about the illnesses etc.  Does the Blue Buffalo food come in wet too.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Problem is, almost all the foods sold in grocery stores are made by Purina or are so low-quality that nobody could recommend them (like Meow Mix--ugh). So, yeah, you'd have to stock up at the pet store if you want to avoid Purina products.

Most brands have both wet and dry foods. But you don't have to match brands--it's perfectly OK to feed one brand of dry and several different brands of wet.

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know what types of stores you have locally but have you ever heard of Healthwise cat food. My cat loves it and does pretty well on it (although I'm converting him to 100% wet)...
Healthwise isn't available in grocery stores though, it's made by Natura (makers of Innova, Evo and California Naturals)- which some people don't prefer since the P&G buyout.

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was trying to get away from the Purina brands because of the thread I have been reading here about the illnesses etc.  Does the Blue Buffalo food come in wet too.
Yes, Blue Buffalo comes in wet, but it is quite expensive for me, even on PetFoodDirect.

Innova Cat & Kitten, EVO 95%, By Nature 95% are all affordable at PFD.

(Select "AutoShip" which can be changed or cancelled at any time for additional discounts.) 

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Price, mid-range.  I live forty five minutes from the nearest Pet Smart.  I usually go to town once a week or so.  Locally we have Food Lion and nothing else. I would rather not do raw.  This food is for my Mattie.  She gets lysine two times a day in just enough wet food to blend it.
I was thinking it would be easier to transition her to another dry food.  I don't want to cause her any major stomach issues.
Kibbles or wet? (I forget what you said in the OP). If kibbles, I would suggest Wellness, they have a very good dry food, but remember to go with the grain free one. If wet, then go with Weruva...my favorite wet cat food. I like it for a whole bunch of different reasons but it is one of the best foods on the market IMO.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another dry food I think looks pretty good is Innova Prime. Also Earthborn Primitive Natural. Wellness CORE Turkey and Duck is new, but looks pretty good, too.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went to Pet Smart and came home with Blue Buffalo, Healthy Living with Life Source Bits.  The flavor is Chicken and Brown Rice.  Our store is not very large and this is the closet thing to what was recommended here.  The protein is minimum of 34% minimum.    I guess this will be healthier than the Purina Cat Chow Complete Mattie was eating.  I noticed some recommended grain free, but his brand is not.  What is the advantage of grain free.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Less grain usually means more meat. Not always--some brands just pack in the potatoes instead--but usually. Blue Buffalo is pretty good for a grain-inclusive food, though.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Less grain usually means more meat. Not always--some brands just pack in the potatoes instead--but usually. Blue Buffalo is pretty good for a grain-inclusive food, though.
Thanks Willowy for not shooting me down for my choice.  I did see the some of the other brands you mentioned, Inova and Wellness, but I didn't read that post until late last night when I got home from shopping and church.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You can check out the Nutro Max Cat.  It is a premium food and will not break the bank.  It is the only kibble mine will eat.  I've tried several.  It's about 10% of their diet with the rest being a wet diet.  You can check out the Nutro Max Cat at  http://www.nutro.com/natural-pet-food/natural-cat-food.aspx

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would recommend Evo, the Chicken and Turkey formula
. It can be viewed here: http://www.evopet.com/products/1441. Also, just so you know, I don't work for the company. Despite my many "endorsements" of the product. I simply, have found this to be the only food, I can feed my domestic and exotic hybrids

Last edited: