Recommendation for HEPA Vacuum for Litter/Pet Problem - Machine Clogs Constantly

winewatcher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! We've got two Siamese short-hair cats who use and have tried a variety of clumping litter brands on advice of vets and the San Francisco SPCA. The litter is great EXCEPT that our highly-recommended, very expensive SEBO Felix Pet HEPA Vacuum Cleaner with a bag is always becoming clogged. We spend so much money taking it in to be professionally cleaned. We called the manufacturer (USA affiliate) and their tech person walked us through how to take the vacuum apart and clean it and put it back together. The problem is that the vacuum gets clogged way down deep where we can't reach. The vacuum cleaner dealer/ repair guy here in town seems to know a secret. After investing so much money in such a useless machine we're looking for another vacuum. We have wood floors throughout except for tile in two small bathrooms. We really don't vacuum the upholstery much because our cats are Senior and Geriatric and hang out in our bed or in their heated beds with washable covers. The big problem seems to be getting a vacuum that can handle the average amount of fur on the floor, dust bunnies AND the clumping litter bits and the usual litter dust that gets kicked out of the two litter boxes. Has anyone had similar experiences and/or recommendations or warnings about various vacuum brands and models? Thanks in advance for any responses!  

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After seeing them recommended at cat forums we decided to try a Dyson Animal Ball (DC25.)  We love it and it handles bare floors and carpets well.  No problems picking up litter so far (we've had it over a year now.)  I've read that the Animal models only differ from the All Floor models in the upholstery attachment so you could probably spend less and go with the All Floor.

I love vacuuming now that I have my Dyson and feel like it helps me enjoy life with my cats without being overwhelmed by the cat hair.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I just bought a Miele canister vacuum cleaner last month. It uses HEPA bags and filters and has great suction to get all the bits of litter up. It also costs a lot less than the Dyson. The local store where I bought it does vacuum repairs and cleaning. I took my old vacuum there several times and they did a great job. They told me that repairs on the Dyson can get pretty expensive. I know my sister has a Dyson pet vacuum and really likes it, but I don't know if she's ever had to take it in for cleaning or repair.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Another vote for the Miele canister vacuum. Ours is still going strong after >13 years, with no repairs, and I've found it to be better than the Dyson, which my mother had. The Dyson had a tendency to clog up, and emptying it could be messy (dusty). I did some research before buying the Miele, and it was recommended by a number of asthma/allergy sufferers' associations because of the double filters and bags, often over the Dyson. There's even a Cat and Dog model.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a really old Dyson cylinder cleaner (DC02) and it does really well with cat litter.  So does the upright DC01 (I lived in a house with very steep stairs hence upstairs & downstairs cleaners).  Both have worked flawlessly, and the only spare I've needed was a hose for the DC01 though I haven't managed to latch it properly which is very annoying.

The DC02 is great on my wood floors as well and manages to suck up the bits of chicken bone that Minnie leaves on the floor.

My two cats are Orientals so have the same very short coat that Siamese have, and I've never noticed fur around the place.  When I had my moggie there was a bit.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a reconditioned DirtDevil EnVision bagless with a HEPA filter for around $60 a little more than a year ago, off the DirtDevil website.  It works beautifully! The dirt cup empties, and you also shake off the HEPA filter, which you replace every 6 months or so (I bought several when I bought the vacuum, also off the website, along with belts), and the surrounding foam-rubber secondary filter, which you also rinse and airdry after each use.  Seven cats, including 2 longhairs, and one servant with 3-foot-long, very coarse and strong wiry hair, have not caused any problems to this cleaner.  One suggestion:  Before vacuuming hard floors, I always use a broom and dustpan on them.  

Last edited:

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had the clogging problem too. I went with a shop vac

Then go over it again with a regular upright.

Its the litter that is causing the problem, my theory.

Wet/dry vac is tougher

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

winewatcher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Due to intervening distractions it's taken a while to get back here to thank everyone who gave such great advice. The original issue with the $600 Sebo Felix upright ( clumping letter clumped and glued inside with cat hair impeding ability to suck up anything except with wand has been joined by a new problem with the Sebo: the rigid frame under the cloth "torso" of the upright locks shut and opens for repairs BUT under very normal, even cautious use this plastic frame has bent somehow causing the back side of the upright body to be open vertically spewing dust, allergens, etc. back out all over the apartment and the vacuumer. My machine seems to have been "manufactured on a Monday" - an old euphemism for defective or purposely sabotaged by a worker. I think it may be defective with manufacturing tolerances off. everyone says Sebo Felixes are like Mieles. I'm not seeing that. Any suggestions for particular makes and models shop vacs with HEPA filter and make and model for a Miele ?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My Miele is the S2121 Olympus model. I think it's one of their mid-range models. It works very well on my tile and the mats I keep under the litter boxes. I don't know if it's strong enough for a deep pile carpet.

I get the HEPA bags, and each box comes with 4 bags plus a clean air filter and a motor protection filter that go inside the canister. They're more expensive than regular vacuum cleaner bags, but definitely worth it.