Recently Moved; Weight Loss.

Scathach2517

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hoping someone has a similar experience to what I'm dealing with right now in regards to one of our cats.

We recently moved back into my parents house. Gemini, my 6-7yo female cat adjusted perfectly fine considering this house was her home since she was very young. Mew, our 4yo male cat had never seen a home besides our 1 bedroom apartment. He had no prior experience with male cats (10yo Sirus) or dogs of any kind (Kira).

Mew has taken it as well as we could have expected him to. He mostly stays in the basement because the dog doesn't go down there and I'm guessing that's where he feels safest... but I'm concerned because in the month and a half or so that we've been here, he has lost a significant amount of weight and seems to have stopped eating. He would always attack the food as soon as it hit the bowl but now he sniffs it and is disinterested. I have never found a wet food that he will eat and he is even picky with treats.

Has anyone had a similar experience with a cat before? I'm wondering if I should take him to the vet? He didn't start losing weight until we moved in and it will be at least until spring that we would even consider moving out.

Though he has not been a lap cat or a generally lovey/cuddly cat since he was a kitten, he's been cuddling me and sleeping with me or on me these past several days. As much as I love his cuddles, I just feel very sad to see one of our fur babies seem so unlike himself..

Thanks in advance for any advice,
-Allyssia

Edited to note: Sirus the 10yo male who has lived in this house his whole life is generally territorial about food. He has always been a bit of a passive bully by sitting next to the food dish after he finishes as if to let everyone know that it's his. He has his own bowl in my brothers room with a different (cheap) brand of food. He still insists on getting at the higher quality Nutro that we feed our cats. I have as of this post moved our cats food to the attic where both of our cats now know it is and we will be keeping Sirus out of the attic.

nwfn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weight loss in cats can indicate and/or cause serious health problems. I would strongly encourage taking Mew to the vet. If they suspect the problem is environmental stress, they should be able to suggest strategies to help Mew feel more at home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scathach2517

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the feedback. He's always been a VERY healthy boy so to see him suddenly change in both eating habits and behaviour has been very hard on us. Looking into some vets in our area now. Thank you again.