Recent change in behaviour

brina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have two cats. My boy is notorious for jumping up in my kitchen counter and even going in my sink, which never has anything in it because of him and his curiosity. I have had him since 2 months old. Been a constant battle since he was 2 months, he is 2 and had now.
My recent, like started happening last night, issue is my female cat. She is 2 years and 3 months. Yep they are 3 months apart. I got her from a rescue when she was 10 months old. Ever since I have had her, she had no interest in my kitchen counters and sinks. She has never jumped on top or in them, ever. So I was in total shock ans surprise to look over in my kitchen and see her on the counter last night. I just brushed it off and had this tiny thought that maybe she was imitating her brother. So today, I look over at my kitchen cause I heard something, thinking it was my boy being a brat again and both of them were on the counter! Then I witnessed her following him around, like he was the leader. Now my kitchen is very small and I don't have much counter space so not only were they on the counter but on my stove, where I cook. So mom is not happy at this point and has to have a face to face talk with both of them to tell them NO.
I just wonder why this sudden change in behaviour? I know we had our first warm day today(live in western Canada) and I have the windows open. Could it be the change in weather has made her a little more feisty? Just don't know why the counter has become an interest to her after a year and half.
Cancel

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are natural climbers. Some kittens are fearless of heights the moment they can walk like your boy, and others are late bloomers like your girl. You should give them alternate places to climb. Like a cat tree or put up shelves on your walls. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They have had a cat tree all their life and they are getting a new and taller one at the end of the month. Current one is like 5 feel tall. There is an issue with the top sleeping area that they fight to use so I am getting one made to have two sleeping areas. It will be 6 feet 6 inches. I was just surprised at this sudden interest. My other friends with cats says it could be the drastic change in weather, who knows.