Recent Adopted Senior Cat Became Very Vocal And Attached

hanlincui

Hanns
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I adopted my senior cat (8 yrs old) back in late Feb of this year. (So about 10 months she has been with me.) Her previous owner had passed away, and this is my very first pet, but I was willing to give her everything I have.

Only took her about half a day to get used to my small apartment. She was so sweet! Hate to be picked up but always slept by my feet, head butting me everywhere I go, sometimes she would head butt my bone and you'd hear the soft "bang", but that didn't stop her from showing her love.

Only recently, she began her little "escape", I open my door after work, and she would run about 2 feet in the hallway and look back at me as she wants me to show her why I was gone for 9 hours. She doesn't run off though, normally she'd come inside after I call her a couple times, or give her a little push. (Before this happened, after I open the door, I can see her running from the bedroom half awake, just to greet me. Now it almost like she ONLY stays by the door throughout the day.)

Now, here's the problem : she would non-stop yowling at the door, almost once every hour or so... I tried to clap loudly and tell her to stop, but her yowl would get louder after hearing my voice. I do play with her when I can, but she'd lose interest quickly, rest for 5 min, and then go back to yowling at the door. I have the feliway diffuser, but it's almost useless when it comes to the smell of being outside.

And only two weeks ago, she became overly attached to me, meows and follows me everywhere I go. She'd only stop if I lay on my bed or sit on my chair, but then she'd sit next to me and just stare at me. Again, If I proceed to play with her while sitting down or lying down, loses interest, takes her little rest, and yowl at the door!!!! D: Last night, I heard she tried to turn the knob!

I know she is bored at home when I'm at work, I have lots of toys lying on the floor, a food scooping thing from Catit, a water fountain, a hidden box in my closet for her, couple "high level" places for her to sleep/rest, some old clothes lying on the floor (noticed that she'd jump in my sweaty dirty laundry while I was gone....), many many boxes everywhere in my apartment. (No scratching post, she enjoys my old books in my book shelf more.)

Does anyone have any solution to the yowling at the door? As well as dealing with overly attached cat? I'd very appreciate it if you have happen to have similar situation with your cat(s) and would like to share some tips~ The yowling is so frustrating, to the point where I just want her out. But then I'd lose a piece of my heart knowing that there's a chance of her catching diseases or even die from incoming cars, etc.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, no...if worse comes to worst, you MUST rehome her with a responsible person or a no-kill shelter/rescue, but let's see if we can't fix this first.

At her age, the yowling at the door may be a symptom of some mental changes that can happen to older cats. OR it might be that something is going on out there that she, with her superior hearing and sense of smell, is very aware of, but you are not. Do a bit of exploring when she is yowling, and you might find what is triggering it. You also might try getting a good quality, safe harness and leash, and actually taking her out a couple of times a day.

Reading back over your post...I know that it is dangerous to try to put our thinking into a cat, but it almost seems as if she wants to know where it is that you go when you leave her, doesn't it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hanlincui

Hanns
Kitten
Purraise
No, no...if worse comes to worst, you MUST rehome her with a responsible person or a no-kill shelter/rescue, but let's see if we can't fix this first.

At her age, the yowling at the door may be a symptom of some mental changes that can happen to older cats. OR it might be that something is going on out there that she, with her superior hearing and sense of smell, is very aware of, but you are not. Do a bit of exploring when she is yowling, and you might find what is triggering it. You also might try getting a good quality, safe harness and leash, and actually taking her out a couple of times a day.

Reading back over your post...I know that it is dangerous to try to put our thinking into a cat, but it almost seems as if she wants to know where it is that you go when you leave her, doesn't it?
Thank you for your quick respond!

I did purchase a harness and leash for her, and I have taken her out twice. She was just sniffing neighbor's door, and tried to go under neighbor's car. After that, she'd sit next to the leash and meow at me. But I will definitely try again today when she yowls.

With the fact that she has been following me everywhere I go, I'm most certain that she wants to know where I went during the day time. :'(

I have been thinking about re-homing her. Have an upcoming trip in Feb and I will be gone for two weeks (she will be at my parent's house), even just the thought of not being with her for two weeks gives me anxiety.. xD

Thank you, again!

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little confused...is she a senior kitty, or is she only 8?

If she's only 8, maybe the solution might be a second cat, if you think you can handle two. I had a cat that had severe separation anxiety. I solved it by getting a second cat. It was a war for a bit but she stopped her crying and yowling immediately. I guess having someone else there solved the fear of being alone, even if it was someone she thought was equal to what she was burying in the litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hanlincui

Hanns
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a little confused...is she a senior kitty, or is she only 8?

If she's only 8, maybe the solution might be a second cat, if you think you can handle two. I had a cat that had severe separation anxiety. I solved it by getting a second cat. It was a war for a bit but she stopped her crying and yowling immediately. I guess having someone else there solved the fear of being alone, even if it was someone she thought was equal to what she was burying in the litter box.
She was listed as a "senior cat" when I first adopted her at age 7 and half. Haha!

I will definitely look into having another cat, used to cat sit my friend's cat for a week. It was chaotic.. But when my friend's cat left, my cat actually misses the other cat who she fought with...

Which gender and age do you think it's best for a 8 year old female?

Thank you!

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Gender...a male, hands down. One female will boss around all the males and they'll love it. Two females will both try to be the boss of each other.

Age...an adult, not a kitten. Kittens have too much energy and will drive an adult bonkers when the adult is all done with play time. Beyond that, other people are going to have to chime in.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think of my boys as middle age at 10 & 11. I think 15 is a senior. Have you considered that she is looking for her previous owner? I think a second cat is a great idea. I also would try going over, picking her up & holding her for a few minutes when she meows at the door. Lastly I would take her for a walk at the same time every day so she can learn your schedule (& that meowing will not get her out side.) You might try taking a penny can with you when you enter/leave. That way you can shake the can at her when she tries to dart out the door.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Get someone who is mellow and laid back. And we have good articles for you on how to introduce them, if this is what you decide to do! Just let us know!