Recent Adopted Cat Vomiting and Meowing

CookieNDA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! Cookie got a sister about three months ago from a friend. She came to me very skinny with a lot of dry skin and bad fur condition. Her fur has gotten better with a few brushings. Her skinniness improved somewhat but she's stopped putting on weight. She meows all the time, acts almost as if in heat constantly (rolling around on the ground, meowing, flicking her tail in the air and squatting when you pet her near her tail), and sleeps a LOT.

I've been finding small amounts of yellow liquid in places which I initially thought was pee. However, today I realized she's vomiting. It's not pee. She did also pee on my jacket today, despite having two litter boxes to use (she only ever skips the box for peeing), and she is very sensitive to touch. I have an appointment scheduled with a vet, but I don't have a lot of money to spend on her health (I don't even have money for my own doctor appointments).

Is there anything you guys can help with?? I feel badly.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is she spayed already? If not, it explains on part of what is going on with the behavior. However, cats in heat are not sick. Yellow vomit is usually bile which indicates an intestinal issue. Where is she sensitive when you touch her? That could indicate what general kind of problem she is having. She needs to see the vet about the vomiting and pain; of course, she needs to be fixed as well but that is only a one time service that should not cost too much.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: Hi there! The biggest thing is to get her to that vet appointment and tell them in (more) detail what you have told us. She really needs a full check up, including blood work and a urinalysis, so maybe either ask your vet about a payment plan, or check out low cost clinics in your area.

But, there are lots of questions. Aside from the spaying (or not), do you have any idea how old this cat is? When she vomits the yellow (bile) is it before she eats? Most of the time vomiting bile is indicative of stomach acids building up that have not been absorbed as they usually would be with food. How is her eating? Is her poop normal?

Be mindful of Cookie if she is allowed around her, in case of infections/viruses/parasites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CookieNDA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! So right now, she's about a year old. Neither of my cats are spayed (weirdly Cookie exhibits no signs of being in heat even though she is now totally mature and almost a full year old!) mostly because I haven't had the time to take them in and take care of them or the money to do it. Cookie is fine with the eating schedule which is more than they eat in one sitting in the morning, and then again at night. I walk through the house in the middle of the day and they generally still have food left. Both also drink water regularly.

Nova flinches if you touch her tail or her abdomen, she hates being picked up and meows the whole time if you do. (Cookie isn't a fan but she sits still and just goes with it till you put her down, then she runs away) Cookie is not showing any signs of having been infected with anything, but hopefully the vet has some answers! I'm hoping its not anything serious because if it is, I don't have the money to care for her or give her medicine so fingers crossed and prayers for my little kitty are appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CookieNDA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I also regularly share food with both cats and have not become sick (maybe I should pause before doing that with Nova???)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You share your human food with her? I would stop that, at least for now.