Reasons one should take their cats in regular vet visits

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What should one get done at a yearly checkup? I'm switching to a different vet for Robins checkup/vaccination. He last had bloodwork in Dec. 2012. And how much is a basic blood panel?

My regular vet did not bother to send out a reminder for his yearly checkup, which annoyed me a little. I'm the mom so I knew it was coming up late December, but when I called to see what he was due for, they were like, " So glad you remembered, because we didn't." So off we will be going, to a different vet. Hope this one doesn't ignore the crusty/runny eye thing; the practice that he's seen since kittenhood didn't seem concerned. "Just wipe it off". I can't help but wonder if earlier, aggressive treatment might have stopped the issue before it crept up into something steadily worse.
Nice vet! We had similar lousy service with our previous cat's clinic and are glad to have better treatment for cats and humans with our new vet.

I think the blood panel is in the range of $60-75. We had to do a bunch last month when Edwina got suddenly sick: those were the prices but I can't find the paperwork on the initial ones we did to figure out which is the basic, oops! But I do remember that price range. Our vet does all the testing in-house.

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not even sure what a "basic" blood panel is at this point
Oh man, that's just sad.

I think blood panels are included more when they are older. Unless there are issues, I don't think they do it when they are younger. Although as someone stated, having a baseline blood work done is a good thing to do.
It must vary from vet to vet, but this is the general guideline I got from my vet for my two kittens(ages 8 month;9month). And yes, amen to having insurance for kittens before some problem comes up that will lead to exclusions from the policy!

• Wellness screen:   Cats 1-9 years of age need a wellness screen yearly.  Our wellness screen is comprised of three tests: Complete Blood Count (CBC), minor chemistry panel, and urinalysis.

• Senior screen:   All cats 10 years of age and older need a senior screen at least once yearly.  Our senior screen is comprised of three tests:  Complete Blood Count (CBC), full chemistry panel, and urinalysis.

What does this blood work tell us?

• Complete Blood Count (CBC):   A CBC is the measure of white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets.  This test helps us identify problems, such as infection, anemia, low platelet count, and bone marrow disease.

• Chemistry panel:   The minor chemistry panel provides information on kidney and liver values, protein levels, and blood sugar.  The major chemistry panel also includes those values, with additional information regarding liver values, electrolytes, calcium, and phosphorus.

• Urinalysis:   This test looks a urine concentration, which along with kidney values, helps fully assess your cat's kidney function.  We also look for signs of urinary tract infection and inflammation, as well as blood, crystals, and cancerous cells.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is a urinalysis done on a male..?OHH....

Yikes. I might wait to see what the vet says. Thanks for the input on the recommended tests! I would like his kidney level checked. At 9 months, one of his kidney numbers came back at the very highest number for its considered out of range. Again, I wasn't told this, and only recently looked at his old paperwork.

I'm more concerned with his eye. He sounds stuffier than normal, and if he has a sore throat or stuffy nose, he might cut back drinking water. His appetite is still very good--"we" just enjoyed a little Spagetti sauce! Can't wait to get him in there and get his pretty blue eyes shining again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
How is a urinalysis done on a male..?OHH....

Yikes. I might wait to see what the vet says. Thanks for the input on the recommended tests! I would like his kidney level checked. At 9 months, one of his kidney numbers came back at the very highest number for its considered out of range. Again, I wasn't told this, and only recently looked at his old paperwork.

I'm more concerned with his eye. He sounds stuffier than normal, and if he has a sore throat or stuffy nose, he might cut back drinking water. His appetite is still very good--"we" just enjoyed a little Spagetti sauce! Can't wait to get him in there and get his pretty blue eyes shining again.
Kidney values can be elevated due to dehydration. But I would never argue with getting things rechecked. I know I would want it rechecked to be sure.

I know they have their ways of extracting urine. Cystocentesis is sometimes used (dare I say often with some vets). It's just easier and less stressful to do it that way.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Kidney values can be elevated due to dehydration. But I would never argue with getting things rechecked. I know I would want it rechecked to be sure.

I know they have their ways of extracting urine. Cystocentesis is sometimes used (dare I say often with some vets). It's just easier and less stressful to do it that way.
That's how the vet did it with Mook. As stressed as she was this was fast and didn't seem to make her uncomfortable.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
That's how the vet did it with Mook. As stressed as she was this was fast and didn't seem to make her uncomfortable.
Sara almost always has a near-empty bladder, so they use this with her almost every time. They call the one vet the Cysto King because he can get urine out of the emptiest bladders with one stick.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Sara almost always has a near-empty bladder, so they use this with her almost every time. They call the one vet the Cysto King because he can get urine out of the emptiest bladders with one stick.
Lets hope that doesn't end up on his headstone

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

This is a great post! I couldn't agree more with all your points, particularly the first: establishing that clinical history is very important. Spending money on benchmark blood tests for a young cat may seem silly but I'm very glad we had it done for our two: the vet has something to start building that history with.

I don't want to hijack this great thread but I might add one thing since I've seen this question more than once: Getting rabies shots, on-time, is very important, even for indoor cats. You never know when a bat might fly into your house and spend a minute or two in a room, alone, with one of your cats before you have a chance to figure out which way the bat flew. That happened in our house last summer and we have no real idea where the bat came from. We got boosters for the cats, the bat was captured and tested (negative), and everything was fine. But nobody wants to be in a situation where a bat tests positive for rabies and a cat that may have come in contact with the bat is unvaccinated. I was lax about getting rabies shots on-time for our previous cats but after the bat incident, I will never, ever let our cats go a day beyond their recommended date!
And hijacking a bit further...while you're having that wellness check, especially if  you live in the South, have your cat heartworm checked, and started on heartworm medicine.  Even indoor only.  There's no such thing as an outdoor mosquito!

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

It must vary from vet to vet, but this is the general guideline I got from my vet for my two kittens(ages 8 month;9month). And yes, amen to having insurance for kittens before some problem comes up that will lead to exclusions from the policy!

• Wellness screen:   Cats 1-9 years of age need a wellness screen yearly.  Our wellness screen is comprised of three tests: Complete Blood Count (CBC), minor chemistry panel, and urinalysis.

• Senior screen:   All cats 10 years of age and older need a senior screen at least once yearly.  Our senior screen is comprised of three tests:  Complete Blood Count (CBC), full chemistry panel, and urinalysis.

What does this blood work tell us?

• Complete Blood Count (CBC):   A CBC is the measure of white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets.  This test helps us identify problems, such as infection, anemia, low platelet count, and bone marrow disease.

• Chemistry panel:   The minor chemistry panel provides information on kidney and liver values, protein levels, and blood sugar.  The major chemistry panel also includes those values, with additional information regarding liver values, electrolytes, calcium, and phosphorus.

• Urinalysis:   This test looks a urine concentration, which along with kidney values, helps fully assess your cat's kidney function.  We also look for signs of urinary tract infection and inflammation, as well as blood, crystals, and cancerous cells.
Oh good - this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!   Since I have to find a new vet, I wanted a list of diagnostic tests to inquire about - does anyone know the procedure to extract urine (cystocentesis) is at all painful for a cat?  Just reading about online, all the articles I found say no that it's not painful - but just wondering if anyone here has had first-hand experience with that procedure on their cat and if it seemed to cause them any pain?   I have 3 male cats, so I'm really conscious about urinary infections/blockages since I know that's the #1 emergency issue for boys!   

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Oh good - this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!   Since I have to find a new vet, I wanted a list of diagnostic tests to inquire about - does anyone know the procedure to extract urine (cystocentesis) is at all painful for a cat?  Just reading about online, all the articles I found say no that it's not painful - but just wondering if anyone here has had first-hand experience with that procedure on their cat and if it seemed to cause them any pain?   I have 3 male cats, so I'm really conscious about urinary infections/blockages since I know that's the #1 emergency issue for boys!   
I'm sure Mook felt the needle but the vet was very proficient at the procedure and it took seconds.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise

I'm sure Mook felt the needle but the vet was very proficient at the procedure and it took seconds.
Yeah, Sara's had it done several times, and she often has very little in her bladder. She has never seemed bothered because of it. She gets more upset over having her temperature taken.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I have been present multiple times for this procedure both on personal cats and on rescues. This discomfort is minimal, especially when you have an "old pro" doing it. The biggest problem is for the difficult to handle kitties that don't like being held down on their backs (if doing an ultrasound guided stick.)

I've had vets that are able to get a sample with the cat in a standing position without the need of ultrasound; but, it takes experience to do this.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good topic.  I admit I'm a newbie to cat ownership so I'm not sure what my cat is supposed to get.  I have one 10 month old and another almost 3 year old.  My vet doesn't recommend anything special.  Just a look over and fecal exams with vaccinations of course.  

When should a cat get CBC, chemistry panel, urinalysis?  Dental cleanings??  It's all confusing.  :(  My 10 month old I brush his teeth 2-3x a week.  My almost 3 year old never because I didn't have him as a kitten and I only rescued him in August.  I'm hoping to avoid most problems by providing a good diet.  My kitten eats 100% raw since it's the only thing that has stopped chronic diarrhea.  My 2 year old gets 3oz of canned food and I offer 1/3 cup of dry food.  

I have a high deductible insurance for my kitten, it's less than 15/month.  I just got it so that I never have to make the decision of putting my cat to sleep because I can't afford the diagnostics or something.  I should have gotten it earlier on since now he has a pre-existing condition.  He doesn't have a lower right eyelid and his fur is rubbing on his eye.    

Last edited:

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Good topic.  I admit I'm a newbie to cat ownership so I'm not sure what my cat is supposed to get.  I have one 10 month old and another almost 3 year old.  My vet doesn't recommend anything special.  Just a look over and fecal exams with vaccinations of course.  

When should a cat get CBC, chemistry panel, urinalysis?  Dental cleanings??  It's all confusing.  :(  My 10 month old I brush his teeth 2-3x a week.  My almost 3 year old never because I didn't have him as a kitten and I only rescued him in August.  I'm hoping to avoid most problems by providing a good diet.  My kitten eats 100% raw since it's the only thing that has stopped chronic diarrhea.  My 2 year old gets 3oz of canned food and I offer 1/3 cup of dry food.  

I have a high deductible insurance for my kitten, it's less than 15/month.  I just got it so that I never have to make the decision of putting my cat to sleep because I can't afford the diagnostics or something.  I should have gotten it earlier on since now he has a pre-existing condition.  He doesn't have a lower right eyelid and his fur is rubbing on his eye.    
I think "when" is a subjective thing. I don't think there is any set age. If you cat has something go wrong when he's 3 years old, then it will be 3 years old. You vet may not recommend any kind of blood work though until he's a senior. I think that just depends on the individual vets. Some have SOP they follow, especially if in a bigger practice. Others use their experience. I believe many use a combination of the two. I will admit though, I've been wondering about the "when" question, now that I have younger cats again. Last time we had young cats, I wasn't the one taking them to the vet.

I think someone had mentioned that they asked for their cat to have blood work/urinalysis done at 5 years old earlier in the thread. Just for a baseline. Something that might not be considered "normal" might really be normal for your cat. For one reason or another. Sara, for instance, has blood in her pee. After many tests, pretty much everything's been ruled out. It doesn't seem to be bothering her, except on rare occasion. We think it's FIC at this point. But she's probably had it for many years. And if I'd taken her to the vet way back when, I could have already established that, at a time when I wasn't having some many other things done on her.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
I hundred percent agree. I can't stress how important a baseline blood workup is for future problems.

I have had several cats with complex medical histories=I have learned so much about what to look for and things to help prevent some of the illnesses but in the end-blood work and a wellness visit having their body palpated is very important.

We don't know what to always look for and I feel more confident having someone with experience do a quick exam to see if there are any changes. They can't talk so we have to always be villagent to any subtle changes. Sometimes blood work doesn't solve the problem. Sometimes each cats numbers are normal for them-but usually we can pick up on things earlier this way rather than wait for something to happen.
I've had a couple of cats this past year with very complex issues; one of whom died from them, the other is trucking along even when things just keep coming up. Lucky was the one who died, and poor little Sara has just had so many issues crop up this last year. I should say, they were discovered this last year, some were probably already there.

And one other thing I wanted to add - preventative care won't necessarily catch everything. With Lucky, it would not have. He'd had two sets of blood work (since he was diagnosed with hyper-t) before he got diagnosed with renal failure - one of them was just over a month before. There was just absolutely nothing that could have predicted that. It came up so suddenly and so profoundly bad that even the vet was shocked. I think the only thing that potentially could have been discovered sooner was the big left kidney, but even that I'm not sure of because I don't know how long he had it, nor could we have done anything if we did know. BUT, with that said, because he did have the blood work the two times before, I'm not sitting here wondering if it could have been caught sooner if I'd been more diligent with their care. Those what-ifs will just eat away at you, and I'm glad that I didn't have this one at least.