Really stinky cat pee

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I just adopted a new cat, Bond. He was neutered about a week ago but his pee still reeks! It is like someone opened a bottle of amonia every time he uses the box.

I use bottled concentrated amonia to keep racoons away from the pool and it smells exactly like Bond's pee.

How longafter neutering does the amonia stink usualy last? Any tips on nutralizing it? Litter aditive, etc.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I just adopted a new cat, Bond. He was neutered about a week ago but his pee still reeks! It is like someone opened a bottle of amonia every time he uses the box.

I use bottled concentrated amonia to keep racoons away from the pool and it smells exactly like Bond's pee.

How longafter neutering does the amonia stink usualy last? Any tips on nutralizing it? Litter aditive, etc.
After a cat is neutered, testosterones will still linger on for 6 - 8 weeks before leaving the system completely.

Try getting Bond to have more water intake. More water intake will produce less ammonia smell.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When I acquired my flame point boy, he was about a year old and not neutered. He physically smelled like ammonia, regardless of whether or not he peed. This will go away, but with some male cats it is stronger. As I recall from your introduction of Bond, he is a young cat, but not a tiny kitten. The smell can get stronger as the boy cat gets a little older.