Really nervous of spay!

destoneslp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty had a suture reaction about 5 days after her spay.  It looked really terrible and I thought it was a hernia or infection.  I took her to the vet and she said most of the time this resolves on its own.  I brought her in a week later and the vet said there is still a lump under the skin (before it was visible) but it is resolving.  Did anyone else have this experience?  How long did it take to fully resolve?  

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise

My kitty had a suture reaction about 5 days after her spay.  It looked really terrible and I thought it was a hernia or infection.  I took her to the vet and she said most of the time this resolves on its own.  I brought her in a week later and the vet said there is still a lump under the skin (before it was visible) but it is resolving.  Did anyone else have this experience?  How long did it take to fully resolve?  
Pea-Pea got a spay bump too that was pretty big. It actually didn't start going down until she had her external stitches removed. That happened this past Monday, and it's shrunk to about half its size.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had Hazel spayed and after about 12 days she got a really nasty rash around the stitches. I know that the body starts to reject stitches after a while, so I removed them right away (I always remove stitches myself if the cat is cooperative), but it still took a few days for the rash to subside :/. But of course if the kitty isn't fully healed yet, removing the stitches right away isn't an option. I don't think any harm will come from her having a reactions to the stitches---it just might be itchy/uncomfortable for her. And be sure to have them removed as soon as she's healed enough.

So, yeah, the bump is caused by the body's inflammatory reaction, it's not dangerous or anything. And it'll go away once the cat's body has healed enough for the inflammation to stop.

destoneslp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Donutte and Willowy, my kitty has the dissolvable stitches, so there is nothing to remove unless the reaction got worse.  Then my vet said she would have to put her under, remove the 3 layers of sutures and re-suture with some metallic thread (don't recall if it was alluminum or stainless steel) but she said cats aren't allergic to that.  However, she said that is gets better in 99% of cases and my kitty's suture reaction seems to be resolving.  So no re-suture needed.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Pea-Pea's were dissolvable too on the inside. The external (which were not) ones must have just been making it more irritated, which is why it's getting better now. They said it could take several weeks before it completely goes away. I definitely wouldn't put her through another procedure just for this. Does it seem to bother her? I know Penelopy's doesn't seem to bother her at all. She's actually in tornado mode with my kittens as I speak.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Inhsd one of my kitties done over 20 yrs ago with no infection, no lumps and no pain relief. She came through it like a trooper.

jen0520

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Had a stray kitty show up at my house and I took it in and fell in love now I have a app to get her spayed tomorrow and I'm scared and nervous :( I'm excited that she will be able to go out and play and won't be going into heat anymore, but scared something bad may happen during the procedure.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Had a stray kitty show up at my house and I took it in and fell in love now I have a app to get her spayed tomorrow and I'm scared and nervous
I'm excited that she will be able to go out and play and won't be going into heat anymore, but scared something bad may happen during the procedure.
That is understandable but only under dire circumstances will something bad happen. Most vets will call you after the procedure to let you know how your baby is doing. Ask your vet to call you if he/she don't mention it.

Just remember that she will still be drowsy and will need to be kept still as much as possible for a few days. Don't let her outside. Your vet will make sure you have all the information you will need to make sure she recovers from her surgery.