Really need help - bullying and urinating issues with new cat! Please give me some advice . .

nifter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi cat lovers,

We are having a nightmare with our rescue cat and don't really know what to do so any ideas would be great!  We got a female cat from a rescue centre about 2 months ago - had the usual hissing etc from our resident tom cat but after a few days they were getting on great - it was lovely to see them chasing each other and playing etc - but then, about 5 weeks ago, the new cat went a bit far and obviously did something that hurt the other one.  Ever since then he has been a bit wary of her and it has got to the point where she is bullying him - won't let him in the cat flap, won't leave him be - constantly bashing him, trying to bite him etc etc.  Anyhow, this has lead to another issue as when we tell her off, she goes and wees in the corner.  I assume it's just because she doesn't like being told off (it's only a case of a raised voice and a wag of the finger, nothing harsh!)?  We don't know her history as she was dumped but it obviously frightens her.  I looked for some advice a few weeks ago and someone suggested 'scruffing' - holding her gently by the scruff of her neck while saying 'no, there's a good girl'.  But she hated it and I felt uncomfortable doing it.  This can't continue as we can't just let her bully the other cat but we have a toddler so the urinating really has to stop.  Please help - I don't know what to do for the best :(  (by the way they both go outdoors so don't have a litter box and she where she wees it's always in the same corner and is on hard flooring) 

Thank you,

Jenny.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nifter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your advice but I don't think that is the case as she only does it when we tell her off - the rest of the time she wees outside so it's not as if she's having 'accidents' as such.  Thanks anyway - think I may contact the centre we got her from and see if they can offer any advice.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely vet check, but I suspect you also need to separate them completely until both settle down and then very gradually (weeks not days) reintroduce them, starting with exchanging scent on old socks or similar.  Spend time with both, play with both.

Also put out some litter trays - although they usually go out you could have one guarding the door, and when the weather is like today (slushy snow, cold & damp) they may well prefer a litter tray.