Really gross question

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your suggesions! You came up with a lot of ideas that I haven't thought of. I haven't had time to talk to my husband about it yet, been one of those weeks. I'm leaning towards poison just because I want to be able to wipe them out completely. There are so many of them that trapping would be difficult. Turns out they're not only in the shed, but they're in the grass and cluvert behind our house. They've been tunneling under our fence from back there and taking refuge in the shed. Thankfully, we don't have cats running lose in our neighborhood so I won't have to worry about cats eating anything bad. But I'm still going to call the city and see if they'll help take care of it. The grassy area and culvert are city property, so maybe they're responsible too.

Anyway, I'll let you know what happens. I'm not too worried about them coming in the house. We've got a good cement foundation and no holes.

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They might not be the cutest creatures around, but they sure are industrious little guys. Personally, I'm not in a big fan of rats; I don't know that I'd have one as a pet...but I've been told they make great pets. I certainly believe they have their place on earth, just as any creature does. They just have a bad rap.

I'd just like to recognize Illusion, Anne, and Donna for great advice and the links that were provided to trap these guys instead of killing them. I wouldn't want someone to kill a cat because it had kittens in someones shed. That would set me off too!

You may think that that's a different story all together, but there was a time and there are still some people that believe that cats are filthy animals that breed disease.

My take on the whole thing and in my humble opinion, Killing Sucks!
unless it's cockroaches...

Love & Rat Hugs, :laughing2
Catarina

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't want to kill them except for the fact that I have children who play in the back yard all the time. We have had cases of rabies in our area in the past year, so I really don't want to take any chances. Of course, I've explained to Amy and Adam that rats are not naughty (as Amy calls it), they just don't need to be living in the shed and playing in the yard with the kids.

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I can understand your concern Dawn...like I said, the links provided are there for relocation...what you do is naturally your call. I was just trying to point out that there are other methods besides killing them.

Love & Peace,
Catarina

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by sunlion

Is it true that rats can squeeze themselves under doors?

It's pretty scary, but true: even very large rats can fit through
very tiny spaces. How tiny? Well, let's put it this way - if you
have a hole about the size of a nickel in your wall, you could
one day see a rat squeezing through it. Rats don't have bones.
They're made up of cartilage, which is flexible.
Uhm, rats are vertebrate mammals, and they DO have bones. Sharks are the animal whose "skeletal system" is made up entirely of cartilage.

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was kinda wondering about that one too..as far as I knew rats have bones! Where on earth did those people(the ones who wrote the trivia)get their information?? I'm pretty sure they'd find walking around pretty difficult without bones
They can fit through some pretty small spaces, but only as small as their skull size. They can manipulate their bodies to fit through, as long as their head will.