Really difficult situation I just need to talk about.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keith, I'm new here and I probably shouldn't take it upon myself to be this forceful, but I'm just going to say what I think:

DON'T WASTE ANY MORE TIME TRYING TO BE NICE ABOUT IT.

JUST TAKE THAT POOR CAT TO THE VET,
AND DO IT TODAY!

It's a hard thing to do when you're very young, but I promise you, you will never regret doing what's RIGHT... regardless of the consequences.

You're thinking of the cat as the PROPERTY of your friend and his mother -- but the cat is a living being who feels emotions, who suffers pain, who has a will to live! YOUR HUMANE RESPONSIBILITY TO THE CAT HAS TO SUPERSEDE YOUR RESPECT FOR THEIR "PROPERTY RIGHTS."

Don't worry about the money -- you will surely be able to find a vet who will allow you and/or your friend to pay the bill in installments, or who might even take care of the cat for free. If no vet will help, take the cat to a NO-KILL animal shelter and ask to talk to the biggest cat-lover on the staff. Even a pet store may have someone on staff who would care enough to find you some help.

I guarantee that your town is full of people who would be more than happy to provide for this cat's care -- all you have to do is find one of them.

But DO IT NOW. This cat could die any day! I understand that your friend has good intentions, but through their ignorance, he and his mother are condemning this poor cat to a slow and miserable death. You know it, and you know it's wrong.

DO THE RIGHT THING!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait this guy is an EMT? Isn't that an Emergency Medical something or other? And he cannot see that his cat is sick and suffering? What a complete moron, how old is this guy? Can't he stand up to his mom and take his own cat to the vet himself? If he has a job, then he has some money now. Man people make me sick, what is wrong with people? Why don't you pick him up one day and take him and his cat to the vet to get checked out? You could show up there one day when he is home and his mom isn't and clip the cats claws and groom him. Please help this poor animal and save him from stupid, irresponsible humans that cannot care for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I talked to him and explained to him about his cat. He told me (and I never knew this) but last year he did in fact take his cat to the vet to treat a urinary tract infection! So thats good at least, and he also took the time to read all my information on cat health issues. I found out why his vomit was brown, he ate a few brown feathers and part of a plastic black bag,which made his vomit brown. I hope no bag is still in his digestive system, but at least I know my friend is more aware of his cat then i thought he was. He also said if I get a clipper we can clip his nails, and he also said if his cat does not stop throwing up (he has inproved though), then we can take him to the vet together. Right now he's paying for his car to get it fixed so he can get to work, but after that he will have some money. So thats the update for now it's a slight improvement.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Keith, I'm new here and I probably shouldn't take it upon myself to be this forceful, but I'm just going to say what I think:

DON'T WASTE ANY MORE TIME TRYING TO BE NICE ABOUT IT.

JUST TAKE THAT POOR CAT TO THE VET,
AND DO IT TODAY!

It's a hard thing to do when you're very young, but I promise you, you will never regret doing what's RIGHT... regardless of the consequences.

You're thinking of the cat as the PROPERTY of your friend and his mother -- but the cat is a living being who feels emotions, who suffers pain, who has a will to live! YOUR HUMANE RESPONSIBILITY TO THE CAT HAS TO SUPERSEDE YOUR RESPECT FOR THEIR "PROPERTY RIGHTS."

Don't worry about the money -- you will surely be able to find a vet who will allow you and/or your friend to pay the bill in installments, or who might even take care of the cat for free. If no vet will help, take the cat to a NO-KILL animal shelter and ask to talk to the biggest cat-lover on the staff. Even a pet store may have someone on staff who would care enough to find you some help.

I guarantee that your town is full of people who would be more than happy to provide for this cat's care -- all you have to do is find one of them.

But DO IT NOW. This cat could die any day! I understand that your friend has good intentions, but through their ignorance, he and his mother are condemning this poor cat to a slow and miserable death. You know it, and you know it's wrong.

DO THE RIGHT THING!
i agree !!!!carol petunia,

keith so the last post on this thread was 29.10.05
is there no more news on this situation or has this cat been to a vet yet????.
if your friend has money to get his car fixed then he can afford to get his cat to a vet.a consultation at a private vet in u.k is £11.00 min but no more than £15.00 .i bet your friend spends more than that on booze in two nights.

keith if your friend is really your friend why didn't you find out all the facts before???
do you really care about animals??if so why bother about a friendship that even you cannot be bothered to find out all the facts!!
did you make this up as you went along??????????????

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Wait this guy is an EMT? Isn't that an Emergency Medical something or other?
An EMT is an Emergency Medical Technician who rides in an ambulance and administers first aid to people on the way to the hospital. It doesn't make sense... If this guy can't even take care of his poor sick cat, how in the world can he deal with potential life threatening situations????????? IMO, this poor kitty needs to be removed from that horrible home and given proper veterinary care as soon as possible!!!!!!

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know furryferals, I dont like your attitude one bit towards me or my friend that you just said in your post. How dare you say he spends his money on booze, first of all you are completely innacurate about that, and second stop assuming that you know it all. Yes I do care about animals, and no I did not make this up along the way. The reason the facts were messed up is one, my friend never bothered to tell me he took his cat to the vet, meaning he really never talks about what he does with his cat, when im over he spends time with me, not talking about his cat. Second he has a medical condition which makes him forget something he did or was told earlier in the day. For example I was over and we watched a movie. 2 hours later I told him what a great movie it was, he said "we never watched a movie?" It's like he doesnt even remember we watcheda movie that day? I dont know what it's called, but it has something to do with his sugar level, mabye diabetic? To top it off his mom doesnt even know about it, he went to the doctor by himself and never told his mom, I dont know how she doesnt know; but she doesnt and he refuses to tell her, like I said him and her have family issues. So now the update. He is still paying for his car, he payed most of it but he still has a few more dollars to save up for. He got rid of some of the materials his cat would chew on, and his cat got a quick bath. I dont see any more throw up, so that's good. I cant force my friend to take his cat to the vet. It's his money, and it's up to him to take my advice or leave it. I offered to help out if he brings him, and that he can borrow a carrier, but to be honest I dont think he is going in. So his cat is a little better, and his house is also a little safer for the cat, no more objects to chew on. There's no more I can do unless I win the lottery and take the cat to the vet myself. Thanks for all your help everyone at least my friend improved the cats living conditions.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
to be honest keith
you said it all yourself,you didnt find out all the facts,
the cats health is affected by its living conditions but as you are aware any animal that is sick or has been sick should go see a vet as soon as possible,and it must have been sick,(for you to be so worried)you said so yourself,

maybe your friend does not spend his money on drink,that was just a example,obviously his prioritys are out of order,

regarding my attitude,when an animals health is at stake and somebody asks for advice,gets that advice,and then makes excuses for not doing anything about it,then i am not exactly going to sit here and pat you on the back,

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it shouldnt be my problem in the first place, mainly because it's not my cat. So from now on im going to but out when it comes to his problems, because when I try to help him out they never get solved, and it seems I always end up getting in trouble for trying to help him out, which isnt fair to me because in my life im responcible for myself. This isnt the first time i've tried to help him ( it was not-cat related in the previous years), and it failed. He's just in too deep now with alot of stuff but if he does need my help and asks for it, then I will always be there for him and I will help.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your friend has such severe short-term memory problems as you describe, it's no wonder his cat is not being cared for properly... and if your friend's memory problems are due to diabetes, then he must be very severely ill indeed. I hope he's getting treatment HIMSELF.

You are correct that your friend's cat is not your LEGAL responsibility -- but I think most of us on this site feel a MORAL responsibility for ALL animals, especially those who are being abused or neglected like this one.

In your earlier posts, you expressed concern for the cat, and a number of us have been trying to help you figure out how to help the poor creature. I'm sorry you felt insulted by what some of us have said, but you have to understand -- if we knew where this cat was, I have no doubt that most of us would simply go get her and take her to the vet right NOW.

So it's difficult for us to understand your actions. You have witnessed and recognized what the cat is going through, you have felt enough concern to ask for advice, and yet you have not taken action.

I hope you'll go back and read all the replies you received... there are plenty of workable ideas in there for getting this cat taken care of, and THAT'S WHAT MATTERS.