REALLY Chunky Nutro Natural Choice Chunky chicken Canned Cat Food!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wish my Lokhi was the same.   He seems to only eat the Merrick with toppers and even then he rarely finishes his plate.  

I have 2 cases of Nutro chunky chicken still left.   I opened a can this morning to feed it and now feel uncomfortable doing that 
           I know this stuff happens at times but you'd hope there are measures in place that would have prevented this from reaching the consumer.
I couldn't agree more about realizing these things happen... but, like you, I'd think someone might have noticed something that large breaking (apparently) and getting into the food. It's a bit baffling, really, that something that large could make it all the way to mrsgreenjeens!

I'll be interested to hear what kind of response mrsgreenjeens gets from Nutro. I'd always felt okay feeding Nutro, though the independent stores near me always seemed a little confused when I asked if they'd carry it: I get the sense that past recalls really damaged their reputation with retailers. I also have about a case or so of various Nutro foods sitting around. Hmm.

And oh, cats and food! Does anyone near you sell the new Bravo canned foods? Our cats really like the turkey fricassee (which is kind of like Nutro's minced) and they'll eat the duck/turkey/liver pate, too, though I haven't tried them on the chicken. The duck pate is a pretty wet one, no chunks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Try Merrick lid duck pate or lid chicken pate, my cat loves those and nutro chunky chicken like yours
Good suggestions! Our cats, who are/were big fans of the chunky chicken, also like the Merrick LID turkey and duck.
 NONE of my cats like turkey, so don't think that's an option.  I've tried other Merrick products, and they won't come near them, not even my porker, which really surprised me.  Haven't tried the LID though...haven't been able to find it around here except in the kibble

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

@mrsgreenjeens, do you happen to have a lot number or expiration date for that food? I have a bunch of chunky chicken just lying around.
Info from the can is Best by 08 08 17   Below that are the numbers 533B3NSC01  02:59  NCCC

I'd also tell your petstore or where you bought the can from about this so they can also contact Nutro and even pull all those cans off the shelf. 

That is crazy and gross and scary. And I JUST bought a can of Nutro yesterday to try and haven't fed it yet. Now I'm debating if I should feed it so I think I'll wait for Nutro's response.

Thank you for sharing! And I hope your kitty is okay. 
Not sure where I purchased that particular can, since I order by the case, normally, from Chewy.com, and only occasionally buy single cans when I get low and my auto order isn't due to ship yet.  I just got 3 cases of different flavors Nutro ( one being THIS one ) delivered earlier this week. 

I have continued to feed this to Tinky because he has to eat, and he hasn't had any issues , AND I haven't found anything else in any of the other cans.  Naturally, I haven't run across any more cans with the same lot numbers on the bottom.

I just talked with Nutro, and they got all the info from me, and said they are unaware of anyone else reporting any similar issue.  I asked if someone else HAD reported it, would they be aware?  She said normally if something like this is "trending", all the reps are aware.  So....they are sending me some paperwork to fill out,and will be issuing me a refund for (I guess) a single can (gosh, I can hardly wait). 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

NONE of my cats like turkey, so don't think that's an option.  I've tried other Merrick products, and they won't come near them, not even my porker, which really surprised me.  Haven't tried the LID though...haven't been able to find it around here except in the kibble
Our cats haven't liked other Merrick foods much, either, just the duck and turkey LID. There's also LID chicken and, I believe, salmon or something. They're not exactly smooth pates but they don't have lumps, either. They're sort of blobby. I was surprised our cats would eat them but they consistently seem to like them.

And thank you for the numbers from the bottom of the can you got. They don't match ours,
, and I hope you get a refund for more than just one can, whether news of this "trends" or not among the reps. I also hope you don't find anything else in your cans. I just fed some chunky turkey and flattened it all out carefully before serving... Eek!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope this is an isolated incident. I feed one of my cats the chunky chicken and turkey. But i always mash it up and add extra water and so far i havent seen anything weird.

ftmba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Info from the can is Best by 08 08 17   Below that are the numbers 533B3NSC01  02:59  NCCC

Not sure where I purchased that particular can, since I order by the case, normally, from Chewy.com, and only occasionally buy single cans when I get low and my auto order isn't due to ship yet.  I just got 3 cases of different flavors Nutro ( one being THIS one ) delivered earlier this week. 

I have continued to feed this to Tinky because he has to eat, and he hasn't had any issues , AND I haven't found anything else in any of the other cans.  Naturally, I haven't run across any more cans with the same lot numbers on the bottom.

I just talked with Nutro, and they got all the info from me, and said they are unaware of anyone else reporting any similar issue.  I asked if someone else HAD reported it, would they be aware?  She said normally if something like this is "trending", all the reps are aware.  So....they are sending me some paperwork to fill out,and will be issuing me a refund for (I guess) a single can (gosh, I can hardly wait). 
Thanks so much for sharing this @mrsgreenjeens. Please keep us in the loop of how the issue evolves. If the result is you filling paperwork and getting reimbursed for a single can I would be disappointed. They really should be doing a lot more in this situation.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Got a call from Nutro today after they researched what that item might have been, and they were unable to identify either the item OR where it might have come from.  They said they traced back from the lot number, etc. to know the exact time of day that can was manufactured, and could find nothing broken along the entire factory line, so they are in contact with their Suppliers to see if perhaps it actually came in with the meat or vitamins, etc.  I don't think they'll ever know, or at least I'll ever know

Since i purchase my cans in cases from Chewy.com, they refunded me $24 for the entire case, which was nice of them.  But the most important thing is that Tinky didn't suffer any ill effects from eating it.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad they called you and refunded you for the whole case, @mrsgreenjeens, though it's too bad they couldn't figure out what happened.