Really bad news from the shelter...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

My thoughts are with you and the others at the shelter who no doubt each have felt this kind of pain.
At least 2 of the ladies who work there were in tears when I went in on Tuesday, right after it happened.

therockhugger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For ringworm? Seriously? Wow...

We deal with ring worm 2 or 3 times a year because my Bassett hound has bad skin and for some reason catches it if the wind blows right. It's really not a big deal to treat, and my husband even sits in the tub with the dog when he catches it. It used to gross me out, but 3 years of flaky dog skin numbed me.

It's just a rash. Garlic and apple cider vinegar kill it in a week. To kill animals over it is appalling, and theres no reason they couldn't have given them all an oral dose of anti fungal, or adopted them out with a rx.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had to post about this again as I was at Animal House Shelter today where I volunteer and my two feral rescues are there awaiting homes. I was incorrect in my earlier post saying it spreads like wildfire. I received more information today from the cat director at the shelter and she told me more about ringworm. So many people are freaked out about it as I was before talking with her and getting true facts.

This is utterly absurd that those poor cats were "done away with" for ringworm. We have two ringworm positive cats right now at the shelter in quarantine and two more in foster, and we do not euthanize for it, we treat it. We even have foster's who will take ringworm cases and treat. Usually, ringworm is only contagious to kittens or cats with immune problems and bad health. There is a high-kill shelter in Southern Illinois, which is about eight hours from our shelter, and we travel down there to save lives. We have transporters who regularly go down there to save many a cat/kitten/dog/puppy. They do kill them if they have ringworm or even URI's. Very sad.

I am so sorry about the sad situation out there at this shelter. It is a
shame.

demstaraus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just from ringworm? I thought it was easily treated?
It's a pity more places don't have a strict no-euthanasia policy. All the best little kitties!