Real or phantom pregnancy?

wickedbella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hellooooo!

I've been anxiously waiting for kittens! I had my 2 and a half year old kitty bred for the first time the week end of May 26-29. I'm starting to think she's faking it. Early on she went through the vomiting and pooping stages, her nipples grew and pinked up. She's always been long slender kitty but if she would be pregnant now would be at 63 days at the very least and hasn't gained any weight, at all!! She's still quite skinny so up until a week ago I kind of came to the conclusion the breeding didn't take. But for the last 3 or 4 days now, her mammary glands have filled with milk and when lightly squeezed, some easily drip out. She has nesting behaviors and eats here and there. I'm always lightly feeling her tummy to try to feel a kick or movement, the majority of the time she gets up and walks away or tries to get pets, sometimes I feel something but for all I know if could be her organs lol. I don't want to put to much pressure just in case there is something there. I'm thinking there's one in there but not 100% sure but it would explain not gaining any weight, i was under the impression that even with just one baby, her tummy would at least be a little round. My other queen have had 4-6 babies so this senario is all new to me. Is there just one? Or is it a phantom pregnancy perhaps? Both seem highly rare so I'm left wondering....?? I'm so impatient! I should just wait and see.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you consider taking her to the vet for an x-ray?  There could only be one.  I don't know how else you could be positive unless she delivers.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hellooooo!

I've been anxiously waiting for kittens! I had my 2 and a half year old kitty bred for the first time the week end of May 26-29. I'm starting to think she's faking it. Early on she went through the vomiting and pooping stages, her nipples grew and pinked up. She's always been long slender kitty but if she would be pregnant now would be at 63 days at the very least and hasn't gained any weight, at all!! She's still quite skinny so up until a week ago I kind of came to the conclusion the breeding didn't take. But for the last 3 or 4 days now, her mammary glands have filled with milk and when lightly squeezed, some easily drip out. She has nesting behaviors and eats here and there. I'm always lightly feeling her tummy to try to feel a kick or movement, the majority of the time she gets up and walks away or tries to get pets, sometimes I feel something but for all I know if could be her organs lol. I don't want to put to much pressure just in case there is something there. I'm thinking there's one in there but not 100% sure but it would explain not gaining any weight, i was under the impression that even with just one baby, her tummy would at least be a little round. My other queen have had 4-6 babies so this senario is all new to me. Is there just one? Or is it a phantom pregnancy perhaps? Both seem highly rare so I'm left wondering....?? I'm so impatient! I should just wait and see.
Ultra sound should too give a sure answer.  Or palpation if the vet is any skilled.

One point is, vets whom DO have access to x-ray, often take the x-ray, even if they can get answers the other way.  And x-rays are usually costly...

Anyways, if you dont want to go and wait, a visit to the vet is the proper.

Also, I suppose you are a breeder of some sort. so a cooperation with a vet is a must for you.   Its just to tighten up the ropes and connections!   :)