Real christmas trees - are they a danger to cats???

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Over the years, we've always gone with an artificial tree. However, after 14 years of faithful service, we had to lay our old one to rest last year. I started looking for a new one and was shocked at the prices. Due to our budget, my dear husband suggested getting a real one, but is a real one a danger to cats, in terms of them eating the needles, etc. ???

Thanks!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think the needles are digestible for cats, so there is a certain amount of danger.

But then, the plastic needles on a fake tree would the same, right?

siamesepeaches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The possible toxicity of the tree itself is probably the least of your worries, yes, a cat might ingest pine needles that could upset stomach or maybe puncture intestines . It's just not as common as the other Christmas hazzards. The water under the tree is a more likely source of toxicity, it may contain fertilizers or harmful bacteria . Tree sap is toxic and could cause stomach upset or even kidney problems.. All the decortions are tempting dangers, especially tinsel, ribbons and ornament hooks which can all cause an obstruction. The light cords and powerstrips are elecrocution hazzards. If the cat climbs the tree and knocks down glass bulbs this could be a problem with lacerations or cuts in the mouth.

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a suggestion...

Dollar General has fake trees ranging from $8 to $45. You can get all kinds of colors including black, white, pink, and purple and some of them are pre-lit or fiber optic. $45 will get you a fiber optic 8 footer.

I got a 6 foot tall white one for $20 and it's actually quite nice.

It does tip over quite easily because the base isn't very sturdy but I have all unbreakable ornaments (all hung with string instead of hooks, too, just in case), so it's no biggie.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

Dollar General here I come! YaaaaaY!!!!
Dollar General has some nice Christmas stuff out this year, There's even cute dog and cat stockings. I hope you have fun shopping.

Very O/T: But there's a Dollar General brand of fudge caramel and coconut cookies that are a knock off of a Girl Scout cookie - just as good and cheap.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I would be more worried (or at least as worried) about the possible toxins (lead, etc) in a fake tree from a dollar store than about a live tree.

Tree sap is not that bad. It might cause a stomach upset or some irritation. The tree water is also not highly toxic (unless you add preservative or something) but may contain chemicals or bacteria which can cause vomiting/diarrhea. You can check this on the ASPCA's Poison Control website.
As the tree water goes, I always take the netting they wrap the tree in when you buy it and wrap that around the opening in the tree stand where the water goes in. That way the cats have no access to the tree water.

imissmycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by siamesepeaches

The water under the tree is a more likely source of toxicity, it may contain fertilizers or harmful bacteria . Tree sap is toxic and could cause stomach upset or even kidney problems.
SP is right, this would be my main concern. Good luck, whatever you do!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Personally I would be more worried (or at least as worried) about the possible toxins (lead, etc) in a fake tree from a dollar store than about a live tree.
You could get a fake tree from a department store and it would still end up being from China... Dollar store brands don't mean that the stuff going into the product is suddenly less safe than if you bought a similar product elsewhere.

Live trees depends. I don't know if anyone still sprays them with anything. I remember a few from childhood that smelled like they had been sprayed with some pesticides - probably to get the worst of the insects and spiders out of them (I live in an area that has bad brown recluse problems, though).

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got my tree from dollar general too. 10 bucks for a 4 foot white tree including 2 boxes of ornaments and mini garland.

That being said, I didn't have any problem with Bean last year with the real tree and he was still a kitten then. I never caught him eating needles or even being interested in the water.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Very O/T: But there's a Dollar General brand of fudge caramel and coconut cookies that are a knock off of a Girl Scout cookie - just as good and cheap.
Cheap knock-offs of SAMOAS?!? Are you serious?!? Those are my favorite cookies in the world, and I could easily eat a box in one sitting. I think I need to go check out Dollar General... or perhaps not, I don't really NEED to be eating an entire box of cookies on one sitting...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

Cheap knock-offs of SAMOAS?!? Are you serious?!? Those are my favorite cookies in the world, and I could easily eat a box in one sitting. I think I need to go check out Dollar General... or perhaps not, I don't really NEED to be eating an entire box of cookies on one sitting...
Yes! They're good, too. Proof that sometimes cheap stuff is just as good.
A lot of the Clover Valley brand stuff is good, though. It's still a small box - a dozen cookies I think. There's no mention of who makes them specifically, chances are that it's a company/plant that makes a lot of other well known cookies.

Great gift idea for those who love the samoas.

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup, Dollar General rocks. Doesn't matter what I'm looking to buy, I always check there first. Their bed, bath, and kitchen section has been phenomenal this year too (but they took it away to make room for all the Christmas stuff
).

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
But, getting back to the tree question...

I've never had anything but a live tree in my life. Some years ago we'd awake to find slobber with a pine needle in it beside the tree, courtesy of Orfie, but nobody ever got really sick from a live tree. Nobody ever climbed one, either, but I guess they could climb an artificial one as well...