Readjusting A Kitten To His Original Home After A Failed Adoption

Thomas O'malley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
So happy to have found this place.

Our cat gave birth to 4 kittens, we kept 2 and found new homes for 2.
2 days ago one of the kittens (which are already quite grown up, 6 months) got hit by a car :(
I can't even begin to explain how sad I am, it's like someone punched me in the heart.
And no one understands cause "it's just a cat".

The other kitten feels she's missing, they use to cuddle and groom each other all the time.
I want a new cat for both of us.

Yesterday the new owner of one of the kittens we gave away called and said they can't keep him and wants to give him back. Strange how timing works.

So my question is- after 2 months apart, will the mother and kitten who stayed here remember him? Will he remember them?
Or will he be like a complete stranger for them?

If they don't get along with him- should I adopt a female younger kitten (2 months)?
I'm assuming a young female might be easier for them to take in, but maybe I'm wrong.

any advice or tip would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just to be on the safe side, start out as if they were total strangers. Here's how:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

This can take quite some time, but I have a feeling that they may readjust to each other very quickly! You may have then back together in a week or less, but let them set the pace. If you did get another, strange kitten, you would need to follow the same procedure, so you aren't losing a thing by bringing this little boy home again. Just be sure to take care of spaying and neutering, so you aren't overrun with kittens!

I am so very, very sorry that you lost your kitten. What a horrible thing to happen. That is why so many of us are proponents of indoor-only living for cats. They can be quite happy and fulfilled indoors with adequate stimulation, toys, trees, etc. If yours are accustomed to outdoors, and you want to bring them in, this will help:
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

Welcome to TCS! I'm so glad that you found us. You now have an entire community who all love and care for cats, and who are more than willing to help you in any way possible! We laugh together, grieve together, and share information on these amazing creatures. When you have a moment, please follow this link New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your furbabies (what are their names?) to the community!