Reading x-ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

James0817

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

Was looking for thoughts on what my cat's x-ray is showing (second opinion basically). Can anyone help?

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure if anyone here on TCS can properly read an x ray :dunno: I believe artiemom artiemom can read ultrasounds but that might be different from a x ray. Can you have a radiologist vet take a look at the x ray? Your vet should be able to consult with one at a vet school or another vet hospital.

What is the reason for the cat's x ray? Broken bone? Foreign body ingestion? Blockage?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

James0817

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I just wanted to see if someone else saw what the vet saw. I realize no one on here is a vet and can't diagnose anything, but I have no clue what I'm looking at. Not eating, vomiting.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vomiting and not eating can be caused by many things. An x ray won't show anything unless there is a blockage of some sort. Was blood work done? Dose the vet have any ideas on what might be wrong?

I see the spine and ribs and a big cloudy mass and a lot of poop. Is your cat able to use the litter box?

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The stomach is very large, could be gastro intestinal lymphoma, or some type of stomach cancer. An ultra sound will tell more. Had your vet done any lab work? Did they do another view on the xrays?

James0817

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
carebearbaby1 carebearbaby1 Thank you. That's pretty much what I was looking for. And they did do bloodwork and xrays.

And thank you to everyone else as well.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I can see, it looks like there is a large amount of stool in the large intestine, along with some air/gas. The stomach does look very largely distended with food or debris..

Are they thinking small cell lymphoma, or IBD? I think the xray could be indicative of something GI related.

I am not a Radiologist, so..... I do agree with the other's assessments.

Glad they did blood work. That will help a lot.

I am also thinking that an ultrasound would be indicated.. sorry...

Did they only do one view? From what I currently know, they like to do at least 2 views of the belly--one on the side and one on the back, so they can get a more 2 dimension view of things.

Is your cat pooping? If not.. the constipation could be causing a lot of what is being seen on the
x-ray...

Good Luck... ((((Hugs))))

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom Thank you. You have been very helpful.
I hope I do not sound like a know it all. I was rushed this morning, and quickly gave my thoughts...

I was an x-ray tech a million years ago, and then went back to school for ultrasound.. have not worked for 6 years, so I can be rusty with the thought process.

My Artie, had IBD and MegaColon, so I have a little bit of knowledge about it.. from trial and error.

Is this interpretation what you had gotten? I so not want to steer you wrong..

Please keep us updated!!!

LTS3 LTS3 Thanks for your vote of confidence.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a cat with intestinal lymphoma years ago whose xrays looked like this. The vet showed them to me but I am almost completely incapable of reading any image on my own, so this is certainly not a dx. I hope that things will turn out better than this.

James0817

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope I do not sound like a know it all. I was rushed this morning, and quickly gave my thoughts...

I was an x-ray tech a million years ago, and then went back to school for ultrasound.. have not worked for 6 years, so I can be rusty with the thought process.

My Artie, had IBD and MegaColon, so I have a little bit of knowledge about it.. from trial and error.

Is this interpretation what you had gotten? I so not want to steer you wrong..

Please keep us updated!!!

LTS3 LTS3 Thanks for your vote of confidence.
No, you didn't sound like that all and I do appreciate the input. Our vet has been wonderful. It was just my own attempt at wanting to believe it was constipation or something treatable, but based on other factors as well, we chose to end our little guy's suffering.

James0817

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a cat with intestinal lymphoma years ago whose xrays looked like this. The vet showed them to me but I am almost completely incapable of reading any image on my own, so this is certainly not a dx. I hope that things will turn out better than this.
Thank you. Based on other factors as well, we chose to end our little man's suffering. I'm so sorry to hear you went through a similar situation. It is heartbreaking.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Vomiting and not eating can be caused by many things. An x ray won't show anything unless there is a blockage of some sort. Was blood work done? Dose the vet have any ideas on what might be wrong?

I see the spine and ribs and a big cloudy mass and a lot of poop. Is your cat able to use the litter box?
Thank you. Based on other factors as well, we chose to end our little man's suffering. I'm so sorry to hear you went through a similar situation. It is heartbreaking.
Im so very sorry
Rest peacefully sweet precious kitty

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry for your loss... ((hugs))

I know how that feels.. I went through this a couple yeas ago, with Artie.. He was so sick... IBD and Megacolon, tons of med, almost weekly enemas, not eating..

((hugs))
So sorry for your loss as well even though its been 2yrs it can feel like it was yesterday
Rest gently sweet precious kitty
I recently lost my boy Snowball...July/8/2020
And it seems like it was just yesterday
And my heart aches every day and I cry alot
So I understand

Status
Not open for further replies.