Re: Tribute To An Inspiration

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure where this belongs on TCS, but I feel compelled to write it.
Yesterday I found out that someone who has been a longtime inspiration to me has passed after a long battle with various serious health issues. The reason I am posting about her here is that she has been a lifelong animal lover and for approximately four decades, headed a very special sanctuary for big and little cats and other animals.
Some of you may know of Cedarhill Animal Sanctuary in Caledonia, MS. Hopefully some of you have contributed to help this wonderful refuge which is home to many abused, unwanted and otherwise at-risk lions, tigers, bobcats, domestic cats, and other animals. And if you have, you undoubtedly know of the remarkable courage, spirit and devotion its founder, C. Kay McElroy, has exhibited over these many years.
Kay has been a lifetime inspiration to me, operating the sanctuary on a sometimes uncertain budget, enduring through many tragedies, and for some time, living with health problems that would fell many a strong man. She had both of her kidneys removed and had to spend many hours undergoing medical treatment to survive that. She broke her hip and was determined, after months in a wheelchair, to walk again. Finally, she obtained hospice care, and early on the morning of January 3 of this year, went peacefully in her sleep to join what must be a squadron of devoted and beloved friends of many species at the Rainbow Bridge. She often said that animals were the true loves of her life, and she was an eloquent and determined defender of and advocate for animals all her life.
As one of the bravest, strongest and most committed people I have ever known, Kay will always be in my heart, soul, and memory. I know she will have touched the heart of everyone who has had the privilege to know her. She made sure that Cedarhill will go on into the future, and I encourage anyone reading this to consider helping them in this. Unlike many other sanctuaries, Cedarhill does not give the public access via tours, believing that the animals living there have more than earned the right not to be exploited in any way. They exist through donations from those who, like Kay, believe that animals have intrinsic value and that those who live at the sanctuary deserve to live their lives with the best possible care.
Thank you.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not heard of her or that organization but they sound wonderful. May she rest in peace.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
betsygee betsygee : She surely is. *I say "is" because the soul is eternal.*
kittyluv387 kittyluv387 -- Thank you. And yes, they are. They have social media presence on facebook, and of course, their website; I encourage you and everyone reading to visit.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure you consider yourself very fortunate to have crossed paths with her. The animals who are now at the Bridge will be delighted to be in her presence. :angel:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is the first time I had heard of them. I think it is great that the animals are left in peace with no tours. There is an elephant sanctuary in Tennessee that does this. They have cameras mounted around the sanctuary. They have a visitors center and people can watch the elephants on the cameras but they are not bothered by people coming through to gawk at them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, neely neely , I am honored and privileged to have known Kay and will always count her among my dearest friends and inspirations. Though we never met, we did correspond a bit over the years. And any friend/protector of cats is automatically a friend of mine.
denice denice , I agree. Cedarhill has a website and social media presence on all of the major platforms, so people are able to see some of the animals without bothering or stressing them. The majority of animals at Cedarhill are little cats, btw. Many are "special needs", elderly or otherwise "less adoptable" -- and none are ever adopted out. They are lifetime residents and receive loving care.