Re-training Cat With Litter Box

brschmit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a cat that is 1.5 years old. About 6 months ago we moved into a brand new home. Our other adult cat had some accidents due to health issues. Our adult cat got better, but started our young cat on having accidents every day. We have taken her to that vet several times and medical concerns are out. We clean the spots really well, even tore carpet up and sealed the floors. Is it possible to retrain her with the litter box? If so, how?
She will use the box sometimes, but will atleast one accident a day.

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've seen some people have luck with crate training their cat to use the litter box again, or confining them to a particular room with the litter box away from the areas they usually pee on. Do you have multiple litter boxes? Your young cat might want a litter box all to herself, or one to pee in and one to poop in. Have you tried different litter too, like Cat Attract? How do your cats get along? My family cats had an all out urinating war when they started fighting, and we had to space litter boxes throughout the house because they refused to share. If your younger cat's been ambushed in the litter box before it might create an aversion.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi B brschmit :hithere: Welcome to TCS :welcomesign:

As you've already had physical causes ruled out, my guess is that this is stress related. I'd try adding some extra boxes in, preferably near her preferred pee spots. Cat Attract is a great idea too - it's not cheap, but it can work wonders in these types of situations.

Is she declawed? I'm asking because litterbox issues of this type are pretty common in declawed cats, because of pain and damage caused by the declawing process (one of the many reasons that this site is firmly anti-declawing). Just trying to rule out any possible physical trigger ;)
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide