RE: SAY GOODBYE TO AN ICON IN SINGAPORE

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Can't it be moved to another location?
We had one that was moved from it's original place to a new location sone 120 meters away and now it's called Merlion Park - merlion-park

But for the one in Sentosa, I don't know why it has to be demolished. Maybe it's due to the weight of the structure. Probably, they'll build a new one in the new location as this structure is iconic. If I remember correctly, the old structure allows people to go up and have a view from the mouth of the structure. This structure costs $8 million dollars to build 😮

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had one that was moved from it's original place to a new location sone 120 meters away and now it's called Merlion Park - merlion-park

But for the one in Sentosa, I don't know why it has to be demolished. Maybe it's due to the weight of the structure. Probably, they'll build a new one in the new location as this structure is iconic. If I remember correctly, the old structure allows people to go up and have a view from the mouth of the structure. This structure costs $8 million dollars to build 😮
...and there are very wealthy people in Singapore -- I would think one or some of them would want to preserve this as a part of the history!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
...and there are very wealthy people in Singapore -- I would think one or some of them would want to preserve this as a part of the history!
Our Government has very good foresight. Many plans are in the Master Plan which has been planned long ago as long as 15 - 20 years ahead.
I guess that the structure is a little difficult to move but they may put up a new one in the project and they have the cash to do it.
I had no idea it was that large, like the Statue of Liberty.
It's like 60 meters in height?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Government has very good foresight. Many plans are in the Master Plan which has been planned long ago as long as 15 - 20 years ahead.
I guess that the structure is a little difficult to move but they may put up a new one in the project and they have the cash to do it.

It's like 60 meters in height?
I'm glad to hear that. But I want this one to be saved, too.