RE: ROYAL CANIN HYDROLIZED PROTEIN DRY CAT FOOD

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A dear friend and I talked earlier today. She told me that her beloved cat was in extremely poor health and that she was thinking she was going to have to say goodbye to her, until their vet recommended this food as a last-ditch effort and two days later, her cat was on the way to the good health she now enjoys.
https://www.royalcanin.com/us/cats/...line-hydrolyzed-protein-adult-hp-dry-cat-food

We both wished people knew about this food. So I am posting about it here.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ That sounds amazing. Brewers rice & hydrolyzed soy protein are main ingredients.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm pretty sure most Vets know about this food. Or a similar food manufacturerd by other brands. I believe it's for cats who are highly allergic or sensitive to lots of things in over the counter cat food., which is odd since lots of cats are sensitive to soy! But I've heard that it works well, as your friend can attest. So glad her cat is doing better.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very commonly prescribed veterinarian diet. All the Hills and RC and even Purina brands have a variety of diets to help cats with specific health issues. They are great when little is known by the vet or owner about cats nutritional needs, or if you have a very ill pet you need to get back to healthy as quick as possible. I don't personally like veterinary diets long term because the ingredients are horrible, but they will in fact usually get the job done and get the cat stabilized. It is a great resource to have handy as you don't always have time to research better brands of food for a sick kitty who needs immediate help.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This food has no animal protein at all... even if it helps for something (and I see how it could help a cat with allergies) I wouldn’t use it long term as cats need meat, after all, I’d be afraid it fixes one thing but messes with another. I’m sure there must be a better way to deal with allergies then removing meat from cat’s diet, it’s probably very rare that a cat is allergic to every protein. I know that figuring out what’s safe to feed is very difficult and time consuming in a cat with allergies, but personally I’d go this route rather than remove any meat source.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried just about every prescription diet including this for my IBD Cat and they did nothing for her, she was still vomiting constantly (daily basis) with frequent diarrhea, it only stopped when I switched her to a raw diet. I'm glad it worked for your friend's Cat but it's not a miracle panacea by any means.