Re-introduction - What Are Your Experiences?

teacookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have three cats at the moment. Srećica, a very easygoing, 13-year-old female who’s been with me since she was born. The second is Ljubo, a neutered 7-year-old male that I adopted 3 years ago.
When I first picked him up, I did a lot of research on how to introduce them safely and I did everything by the book - put him in a separate “safe room”, scent exchange, took everything slowly, supervised introductions with food etc.
The procedure worked and the two of them got along just fine.

Two months ago I adopted cat no.3, Curica.

(we are Croatian so don’t even try to pronounce those names :crazy:)

Curica isn’t just any cat. She and Ljubo used to live together as semi-feral cats. They didn't have a real home or a real owner, but they had an outdoor shelter and were being fed by some people who worked nearby. They were tame, okay with being stroked, but not endlessly trusting. And they were “a couple”, very close to each other. Then they both mysteriously disappeared from there.

Long story short, I adopted Ljubo 3 years ago when he wandered into my garden. I found out who he was through a local feral cat organisation that once upon a time had neutered and spayed him and Curica.
And Curica was recently discovered in a photo shared in a local cat group on facebook. She needed a home and I thought I should be the one to adopt her, since I already had her old friend Ljubo with me. I had this romantic idea of a “family reunion”.
Rrrright.

When I first brought her home, I did almost everything by the book. I gave her a separate room with everything a cat needs in it, and tried to take things slowly. But I say *almost* because, in hindsight, I rushed her introduction to Ljubo. They both seemed really fine at first. The first time they met they approached each other without tension, touched noses, and then sat down and looked out of the window together. No hissing, no bushing up, no aggression. I honestly thought they had recognised each other! I thought we had instant cat-peace!

However, during one of those initial early supervised meetings, I made another mistake - I let Curica explore the house too soon and she got overwhelmed and panicked. She ran back to the window in her room and started scratching it. Ljubo was already sitting there and when he saw her panic he hissed at her and slapped her. She was in shock. As was I.

He continued to hiss at her for a few more days, at each encounter. And then he stopped. He figured out she wasn’t a threat and he started politely ignoring her. She ignored him too. I thought - yay! Mutual tolerance! I have succeeded! We have peace!

But I was wrong. The peace lasted a few weeks, and then something changed. Curica started stalking Ljubo. Not all the time, I must stress that they can still eat next to each other, and even wait for food without any tension. Or if she’s resting and he walks past, she doesn’t make a fuss.

But then I don’t know what triggers this, she gets into some kind of pesky mood a few times a day, and starts following him around the house, in that aggressive posture with her head below her shoulders and a flickering tail. Not playful, aggressive.
He ignores her at first. He would clearly rather avoid confrontation. But she stalks and stalks and then he snaps and starts posturing back. She doesn’t back down. She stares at him, he looks away, but postures.

If I don’t separate them, fur starts flying.

Over the last few days this behaviour has been increasing and escalating and I don’t think it’s going anywhere good.

I think I made a terrible mistake right from the start. I let her interact with Ljubo before she started feeling fully comfortable in her new environment. He snapped at her then because her fear triggered bully behaviour in him, and she has put him in her black books. She considers him an enemy because of the way he hissed at her a few times, over a month ago.

He has since lowered his guard, and she has started feeling more confident in her new environment, and more territorial. She interprets his lowered guard as her chance to “sort out the enemy”. That’s what I think is going on right now. She also might be challenging his position as alpha cat in the household.

So, what I know now for certain is that their friendly past means nothing. I was an idiot to think they had recognised each other at first and that this meant they could easily re-establish a positive relationship. I messed up the introduction and now I have enemy cats.

(Interestingly, Curica’s relationship with my other cat, Srećica, is completely neutral. They show zero interest in each other and I’m perfectly happy with that. But that’s probably because Srećica is perfectly happy being the submissive undercat in general.)

So now I am thinking about attempting a re-introduction of Ljubo and Curica. I have only read about this online and in cat behaviour books. I understand the cats need to be separated for an undefined period of time and then re-introduced slowly, with supervision and positive food distraction, to try and get them to re-associate each other’s presence with positive feelings.

I can lock Curica back into her safe room, that’s not a problem, she doesn't protest much. But I have no idea how long to keep her there, and at which point to attempt to re-introduce them.

So, getting to the point of why I’m posting this here - or if all this is TL;DR ;) - I wanted to ask, has anyone ever attempted a re-introduction? How long did it take? Did it work?

ps. other important info - all the cats have been neutered/spayed for many years and they currently don't go out at all.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I think that your plan is a really good one. You can begin the reintroduction at whatever point you don't have a lot of activity going on in the house (meaning that if you're going to have a lot of visitors for the end-of-year holiday, I would wait until things have come back to a more normal household).

How long it will take is completely dependent on the cat that is the slowest to become positive/accepting :).

Maybe this will help, because you are, for all intents and purposes, starting over;
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teacookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks for that link.
But hm, yeah, as for "how long it should take" - okay, once the (re)introduction begins, I understand I need to watch their body languages and monitor their interaction and assess this individually. But how do I know how long to maintain the initial separation?
When the cat was brand new to the house I figured it should be once she seemed comfortable enough with her environment.
But when we're talking about re-introduction, the cat is already comfortable in the current environment. So how long should I keep them separated, for their brains to "reset", so to speak? If you know what I mean?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Try by seeing how they act when eating on either side of babygates or a door they can see through...if they're ok with that, you can probably start putting them together.

teacookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh they're already okay with that. They can eat together in peace. The aggression happens at total random, and I can't figure out what triggers it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I see. I think I would try a calming collar with her, and/or a calming diffuser (not necessarily feliway, that can sometimes have the opposite effect with some cats).

teacookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, with her definitely not a collar because she has managed to get a rash even from a normal collar (tough case this one :lol: ). But I've been considering Feliway, although I'm skeptical about its efficacy. I might have a look at what else might be available.

Anyway look at this video, this is the behaviour I'm talking about. She is the ginger-white one, Ljubo is the black&white one. They'll be ignoring each other for half a day and then she starts stalking him like this, out of the blue. He gets annoyed with it and they start that posturing dance. He tries to retreat, but she follows. If I don't catch them at it and intervene, eventually they pick a fight.

The other day I found him sleeping in his usual chair, with her hovering on a desk right above him, staring at him. He really tries to ignore her but she's persistent.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Cats! Honesly - sometimes I really wish they could speak to us with words LOL

Here are some things you could try;

You could try low volume classical harp music, there is an app called Relax My Cat, there is MusicForCats.com and also George Handel compositions are known to help a cat to relax.

Also, you could try one of these, only a small selection of a fast-growing section of pet products;
Bachs Rescue Remedy, Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, Quiet Moments Cat treats, there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry.
You might want to check with your vet, but some people have good results with CBD oil, plus there are vet-prescribed calming products too.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

Beyond Confused

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh. I shouldn't laugh, but I can't help it. That video...She is like an annoying little sibling who mimics everything the older one says or does!