Re-introducing my cat to his bro and sis after shelter, how?

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you said about biting the neck I had a feeling. I have many cats and all were fixed as babies or for the ones I got as adults when I took them.  When a female is in heat outside or boy cats fighting they STRONGLY react to that.  I usually try to trap any I can to get them TNR just to keep peace among my bunch.  I know there is one now as they are acting strange at times and fighting more.

Is the pee smell all over or more near the tail-as it is possible it is one of the others pee.  Living with her heat cycles is a lot of stress for the 2 boys.  See what is available as this time of the year some places are REALLY looking to prevent litters and some drop the cost down a lot.  But expect she MAY get turned down for surgery if in bad shape.  I would not say anything about her state and play it off as she is fine as you really need her done but see what they say.  Though if she is sick sick that does not apply.  I am basing that off a cat who seems not to sick.  Obviously you see her and can tell.  If she is that bad then that does not apply.  I have run cats through the clinic in bad shape(just got them and I can not have intact boys in the house long term without serious risk to my others)  I always say to them if they seem hesitant I am willing to sign something saying I was informed this cat had higher risk of issues due to health and they always give no issue after I say that.  

Vomiting due to not chewing the food is not serious but may want to soak her food in water and offer her mini meals if you can so it is not sitting out long and still give her acess to the regular dry.  Unspayed females tend to be on the skinny side from my experience as I think it takes a lot to go in and out of heat so often.

If you qualify for any public assistance make sure to mention that to shelters/groups as I know by me there are 2 places that that would drop it down to under 20 for females.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huntersmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the kind advice received here.  A very tough decision has had to be made.  I am broken up about it but it was best for everybody all around.  Hunter is in quarantine and they will not vet him and adopt him out.  I had to sign his papers for the long sleep.  He was the best kitty and we will keep Twinkie and get him his shots although one son was afraid he would go aggressive too.  Someone (shelter, health unit, I don't remember) said that Hunter had gone back to feral and the health department said public could not be risked, and it could not wait another day for my daughter to see him - she did however whisk herself over here, helped cage him in a happy way instead of the growling and resistance he went through last time.  We cuddled him and took pictures and cried.  :'(   We said our goodbyes and saw him into the truck...   Part of me wishes it was him only we took, instead of his brother and sister as well (although Twinkie would have been my first and only choice, it was my son who selected Hunter)  and that nothing would have scared or provoked him into this state.  I still don't know why he became the way he did, I also strongly urge anybody with no vet money not to take cats!  I did not foresee our economic downslide nor my health downslide, had no clue they would become such HUGE cats, and thought I could save the situation and had lots of time.  I still keep thinking if I had stayed home that night, if I had bought food instead of forgetting before the store closed, if I had insisted that Twinkie and Princess not stay in the bathroom together, if I had known he'd go into that state upon hearing them.... it is a tough time.  Hoping to still have enough cash to get Twinkie to his vet appointment on Friday...

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You HAVE to have her spayed ASAP(did you keep her?) or you may have the same issue with Twinkie.  Saying he is back to feral is not right.  Had that been the case he would be like that 24/7.  Having unfixed cats can cause that.  

I understand signing him over knowing he will be euthanized after the hold but unless you can get the 2 fixed you may want to sign them over before they have a record and can still be adopted out.  Even keeping 1 unfixed can cause this.  Genetics too will play a role so you know for sure this is possible with the 2 you have left.

huntersmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They told me they will not adopt her out with her health problems.  I put an ad on Kijiji.  Someone offered to pay her bills so I can keep her.  Frankly we were only going to keep Twinkie.  Am going to let someone take her if they will.  Not sure if I can afford to get her fixed up so that she is adoptable.  Someone did offer to pay for her so that I can keep her if I love her...I might try to take him up on that and then adopt her out.  Thanks for the information.  If I could go back in time I would learn a lot more about cats before taking any on and then only what I can handle financially even if that means not having one at all  maybe!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it is tough. I have a lot of cats and deal with the struggles.  If the person is serious take her in for the basic blood work and see where you stand.  Being unspayed can be a lot of the issues. The shelter said that from seeing her or from you telling them what was wrong?  You did the best you could with what you had.  You had the 2 boys done.  Life is not perfect.

huntersmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The doctor who saw me asked if I will be putting him down.  I said yes.  The Health Unit lady said from what she heard of his attack, that he had gone back to feral (he was never feral in the first place)  .....  she said that it couldn't wait, the public health could not be at risk one more day, they paid for him to go to Animal Care a second time ~ because I bailed him the first time ~

I e-mailed the guy who asked about paying for Princess, if he could go get Hunter and pay for him instead so he could go to a home where he is the only cat - not sure if it is allowed, the shelter will call me back and tell me what's what, I also am allowed to bring him food foro his last week of life on earth.  (He was almost as smart as a dog, he was my main companion, I just am crying right now as I write this) ughh

huntersmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Trying to see if someone can spring Hunter and fix him up, if they will let me - he could be all right in a home with no other kitties in a calm place or no?  Asked the guy if they could help him instead of his sister.  Feeling horrible right now.  At least I can take him his favorite foods for his last week.  Bawling my eyes out this is horrible......

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they will say no just cause 2 incidents so close is pretty bad.  They will most likely consider him a dangerous animal.  I think if an intact cat was not around there is a chance he would be ok IF there is no underlying medical issue.  

I think I would worry about Princess just cause she may be suffering and even if it is "just" the heat cycles she will need care to prevent Twinkie from doing something similar.

huntersmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I might do just that if this guy will help although I did say I am not in love with her so ...

Will keep this thread updated when something works out.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
 I also strongly urge anybody with no vet money not to take cats! 
I cannot emphasize strongly enough the financial implications of cat ownership to potential adopters.  It's really disheartening when it seems to go in one ear and out the other.  Of course I want the shelter cats to be adopted but when I hear someone asking why the adoption fee is so expensive ($135), I try to ascertain if that person/family are financially stable enough for a cat.  It further alarms me when they are surprised or even balk at the contractual agreement to take a cat for their first vet visit within the 1st 3 days of adoption.  I volunteer in an affluent area so finances are usually not an issue. Still, it comes up from time to time.  I don't know if I could handle volunteering in a location where it's tougher economically.  I'd be very torn between helping someone adopt a cat and making sure the cat goes to an environment where his/her health won't be compromised due to economic difficulty.  People have their heart in the right place of course, but I also gently ask them to think through an adoption with their heads too.  If the cat swallows a string and needs emergency surgery, would you be able to afford the unexpected cost?  Cats when healthy--physically and emotionally, aren't overly expensive.  But my mantra is that you hope for the best but plan for the worst case scenario.  So yes, $25-50 a month is enough for food/litter and savings for an vet visit.  But do you have $500 to spare if your cat starts panting and needs to see a vet cardiologist?

Huntersmommy, you have my sympathies.  The odds are great, but I do hope things work out for you, the cats and most of all, Hunter.

huntersmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This place Animalert said it will cover Princess's teeth if I get her spayed during the special price event at the low income clinic.  She thinks with a normal cat around and a calm atmosphere Hunter might be okay.  She thinks I should pick him up and take him to the vet.  Of course, I can barely afford to spay her, let alone vet him....I need a benefactor....I took him some favorite foods today and asked them to take his collar off so he could be free and not twitch (he hates it) ... left him my shirt to comfort him. 

I so hope I find someone to help out.  I am just sick over this whole thing, we messed him up by not spaying her. 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree there could be hope but with you being so tapped out I would worry and really prioritize the 2 who are doing ok but need vet care over one with known issues that you do not know would be solved.  

Other thing is even after being spayed she could still trigger him for some time so you would need to be very careful.

huntersmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I slept a good sleep. 

I phoned and got the appointment for Princess.

My brain was going round and round in circles and suddenly it dawned on me - was thinking maybe Princess could stay elsewhere.  Then realized I do have a storage room that he could stay in, if I clear it out!  Then it would even be possible to separate Twinkie and Princess from each other.  I will not put him in a room with them and get them hissing, he will go straight into the storage room with litter, blanket, and food and water. 

I also had my rabies fears allayed by Animalert, he after all only has been outside one time on a 3rd floor balcony.  She said squirrels rarely have rabies and I don't even know if he encountered any living things out there for the short time he had escaped.

I'm holding my breath that they don't say "You signed it so now it is unchangeable" ... I may have to take my son there and have him claim that it is his cat, therefore my signature means nothing.  I think if I explain that I will be vetting him and that I have a new solution and that there is no threat of rabies they will hopefully let him go. 

If he shreds me again, I will just use peroxide.  He needs a chance to show he won't.  I think the bruises are because I am older and bruise easily, I don't know, has anyone here ever been attacked by a cat?  I just have rings of bruise around ever scratch even though most of them are way more superficial than my panicking self thought...  I do know if he continually shreds (although some very fiery types would protest) that he will need to go down.  But at least he will have had a chance.  Poor little bugger, I love him so much and I was literally sick to my stomach at the thought and crying torrents of tears.