Re Cat Food intolerances

helen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my name is Helen and I am from the UK. I have a number of rescued Cats who have started to scratch, they havn't got fleas as they have been frontlined regularly and wormed. I am thinking that as they get older they are getting intolerant to the proteins in certain foods- hence the itching

I am really wanting to know what type of diets other cat owners feed their cats, i am big on anti animal testing so alot of brands of foods are a no no in my home.

any information would be great
Helen

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Helen!
I've been on a quest this year to find the right food too. One of my boys is overweight, the other has some kind of intolerence. The animal testing was a factor too, that's why I switched from Iams. The best I found in my area is Newman's Own Organics, recommended by PETA. Unfortunately, one cat has developed urinary crystals, so now I have to feed him the vet diet.
There are lots of threads about food on this site, so I'm sure you'll find some useful advice!

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your cats could benefit from omega 3 fatty acids. They're good for the skin and coat. You live in the UK. If you lived in the US I could help you out because www.drsfostersmith.com sells supplements for cats with skin allergies. It's called Vitacaps. Do you have anything similar to that in the UK?

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might also try an allergy diet that consists of a single protein and single carbohydrate that your cats have never had before such as venizon and pea, rabbit and pea, duck and pea. These diets usually also have omega 3 fatty acids included in them and because of less variables these foods tend to be better quality than the ones that have so many allergens such as corn and soy and whatever else that goes into most pet foods.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

You might also try an allergy diet that consists of a single protein and single carbohydrate that your cats have never had before such as venizon and pea, rabbit and pea, duck and pea. These diets usually also have omega 3 fatty acids included in them and because of less variables these foods tend to be better quality than the ones that have so many allergens such as corn and soy and whatever else that goes into most pet foods.
single protein single grain is the best but check with your vet...

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

single protein single grain is the best but check with your vet...
It doesn't have to be a grain. Many cats do well on diets that are grain-free. Peas and potatoes are not grains.