TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutering any tame cat and returning it? That definitely won't complicate anything. :cold: People with pets who go outdoors need to know this as well and think about the ramifications.
People need to be PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE and COMMITTED to adopt FOR LIFE. If everyone spayed/neutered and adopted for life, there wouldn't BE this problem. Because I live in this society, I continue to work 365 days a year on behalf of cats needing loving homes, as well as cats who are not socialized. When someone presents a workable, humane alternative, I am pretty sure thousands of advocates will jump on it. In the meantime, at least we can share information in the interest of educating others.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there are particular neighborhoods where return-to-field is the best approach. I've seen it personally---everybody lets their cats run around unfixed, eventually the trailer park manager gets fed up and traps them all out, everybody gets new kittens and starts again, etc.---and I've seen that getting the cats spayed/neutered can keep them in their homes without population explosions. But I hope they do it thoughtfully because I don't think that's the right thing for every cat in every area.

And yeah, sorry not sorry: if someone is letting their cat roam outside unfixed then getting their cat fixed is the best possible thing that could happen.

catfoster11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can see why return to field is used in some cases. There's never going to be enough people willing to foster/volunteer/adopt/adopt a colony.

But other hand it seems like a cop out when a lot of these big orgs tend to push narratives but don't do as much as they should for rescue. Forgot the org name, but stuff like, hearing they wanted some of the local trappers here going out and trapping, using their funds, so they could get the cats but pitching in zero $. They don't want to sully their no-kill so just releasing every S/N cat looks good for them.

Just seems like the best solution they got for now when there's not enough homes/resources/space for cats.

This quote though:

'“But one day, the public will realize what an incomplete picture that number provides. One day, they will wake up and judge shelters by how they treat animals and serve communities, by their success in addressing the source of animal suffering and finding real solutions, not just reducing services and manipulating numbers.”"

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see why return to field is used in some cases. There's never going to be enough people willing to foster/volunteer/adopt/adopt a colony.

But other hand it seems like a cop out when a lot of these big orgs tend to push narratives but don't do as much as they should for rescue. Forgot the org name, but stuff like, hearing they wanted some of the local trappers here going out and trapping, using their funds, so they could get the cats but pitching in zero $. They don't want to sully their no-kill so just releasing every S/N cat looks good for them.

Just seems like the best solution they got for now when there's not enough homes/resources/space for cats.

This quote though:

'“But one day, the public will realize what an incomplete picture that number provides. One day, they will wake up and judge shelters by how they treat animals and serve communities, by their success in addressing the source of animal suffering and finding real solutions, not just reducing services and manipulating numbers.”"
Yes. Spay/neuter is THE answer, along with loving lifetime homes for all cats who will accept them. No cat should have to live on the streets. But many do have to. Dealing with reality and trying to work toward the time when all cats are respected and protected is a very, very hard job. But we are doing that, and it takes every one of us who cares to do our part. Also, to educate everyone.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly, I agree people need to take accountability and NOT let their cats out. My block had a population explosion because careless people let their UNNEUTERED male cats out who were impregnating stray female cats (some of them were probably owned and kick to the curb when they went into heat or got pregnant). :nono: If people did the right thing, then there wouldn't have been so many kittens born on my block. I became a cat feeder when I found starving kittens in my yard. I couldn't stand to see them like that.

I don't want to see cats suffer, but also I don't want to see them get euthanized in the animal shelters. I think educating cat owners and giving incentives for taking care of the community cats (feeding, tnr and beyond) should be considered. This is a community problem and we should get as many onboard with trying to humanely solve the problem instead if the old "putting a bandaid on a broken leg" approach.

Anyway, just my thoughts.🙂

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly, I agree people need to take accountability and NOT let their cats out. My block had a population explosion because careless people let their UNNEUTERED male cats out who were impregnating stray female cats (some of them were probably owned and kick to the curb when they went into heat or got pregnant). :nono: If people did the right thing, then there wouldn't have been so many kittens born on my block. I became a cat feeder when I found starving kittens in my yard. I couldn't stand to see them like that.

I don't want to see cats suffer, but also I don't want to see them get euthanized in the animal shelters. I think educating cat owners and giving incentives for taking care of the community cats (feeding, tnr and beyond) should be considered. This is a community problem and we should get as many onboard with trying to humanely solve the problem instead if the old "putting a bandaid on a broken leg" approach.

Anyway, just my thoughts.🙂
They're mine, too, Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose which is why I am a member/supporter of ACA and BFAS. No, it's not "perfect" -- it's so far from perfect that we cry and agonize over this crisis daily. But to give a beloved cat spay/neuter and baseline innoculations and a checkup, and a place in a managed colony if the cat is unsocialized, gives that cat the chance we were all created with and for -- the chance at life. I would not take that away from a healthy cat.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
though I am in absolute disagreement with BF on their position on pitbulls, as a supporter of BSL globally.
So you are in support of having my dogs taken away and killed for their looks, cool. That's not insane or anything.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I've had that argument already. Not sure how anyone can advocate taking and killing other people's family members but she won't budge.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
They're mine, too, Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose which is why I am a member/supporter of ACA and BFAS. No, it's not "perfect" -- it's so far from perfect that we cry and agonize over this crisis daily. But to give a beloved cat spay/neuter and baseline innoculations and a checkup, and a place in a managed colony if the cat is unsocialized, gives that cat the chance we were all created with and for -- the chance at life. I would not take that away from a healthy cat.
Every community cat should be TNR/vacced. Colonies should be properly managed so there is no population booms and rampant diseases and ofcourse nobody is starving out there.

I care for the cats I feed. They are all tnred. I try to keep them healthy by putting Lysine and fish oil in their food. But with that said, there are those who do not want the cats around. I have to deal with those kinds of attitudes. I would love to get the friendly ones off the streets. If I could do that, maybe things would calm down. But as you know, it is not easy getting adult cats off the streets and adopted. I give these cats the comfort of knowing they will be feed everyday and that someone cares for all their needs. I wish all community cats had this.🙂

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every community cat should be TNR/vacced. Colonies should be properly managed so there is no population booms and rampant diseases and ofcourse nobody is starving out there.

I care for the cats I feed. They are all tnred. I try to keep them healthy by putting Lysine and fish oil in their food. But with that said, there are those who do not want the cats around. I have to deal with those kinds of attitudes. I would love to get the friendly ones off the streets. If I could do that, maybe things would calm down. But as you know, it is not easy getting adult cats off the streets and adopted. I give these cats the comfort of knowing they will be feed everyday and that someone cares for all their needs. I wish all community cats had this.🙂
You're a hero for cats and all of us who love them! Yes, if everyone would get involved, take responsibility, respect and protect the cat, TNR and manage the colonies, this tragedy would not BE a tragedy but rather an asset to every community, and over time, nonexistent, which is what we want -- life care for those cats who are outdoors, transitioning into all cats having loving life homes. WE CAN DO IT. We are working toward this goal and neither COVID nor anything else will stop us.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
You're a hero for cats and all of us who love them! Yes, if everyone would get involved, take responsibility, respect and protect the cat, TNR and manage the colonies, this tragedy would not BE a tragedy but rather an asset to every community, and over time, nonexistent, which is what we want -- life care for those cats who are outdoors, transitioning into all cats having loving life homes. WE CAN DO IT. We are working toward this goal and neither COVID nor anything else will stop us.
Thank you and I 100% agree with you. 🙂