re-acclimating former foster buddies?

jklaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A week and a half ago, I adopted two awesome males from a local shelter (each about 9 months old) ... Well, actually, I adopted Cat 1 and am still waiting to bring Cat 2 home.  Turned out when I went to pick them up, Cat 2 had ringworm, so the shelter agreed to treat him (which takes a few weeks) until he's cleared.  I was immediately convinced to get these two as a pair when I first saw them.  You could tell by the way they played together that they were buddies, and the shelter folks said they were bonded from having spent a month in the same foster home.

Question is when Cat 2 finally comes home (in another week or more), should I follow all the normally recommended steps for acclimating a new cat with an "established" cat--even though the cats already know and like each other? It only took Cat 1 a day to warm up to the new house and he's already fully settled into his routine. Everything I've read about acclimation says to keep the new cat apart from other (i.e. closed rooms) to avoid problems and to manage the new guy's stress.  But, since these two were already bonded nicely at the shelter and won't have been separated that long (three weeks?), I wonder if would be less stressful (for both) to just reintroduce them right away (i.e. letting Cat 1 come up to the carrier right away to see what the reaction is??).  I'd assumer hey'd be excited, although perhaps Cat 1 will have become territorial already?

Any thoughts?   

bad cat chris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not an expert but I have never seperated cats when introducing a new one. They usually hiss at the new cat but not much more than that. One of our cats once broke through the screen and was out all night. When she came home the other cats treated her like a stranger for a little while. She must have smelled different. That may happen with your cats but I doubt it will be a problem. Just watch them for awhile.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is still best to re-introduce them properly.  It will probably not take as much time as non-buddies, though.  When Sugar got out and was gone for four days, it took her sister Spice two or three days before she stopped hissing and growling at Sugar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jklaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was hard to tell at first. The new guy, Bugsy, just wanted to assess his surroundings, but Spidey following him relentlessly everywhere he went, sniffing his butt and standing on top of him (more like mounting him) anytime he sat or lied down. He was getting pretty annoyed by the evening and took a gentle swat or two at Spidey. But by morning, they were as shown in the photo. They've been in buddy mode ever since.