RAW to dry/canned - a potential killer?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't help you with a vet recommendation, but I can tell you there are some wonderful canned foods out there. Nutro, Natural Balance, Merrick to name a few. I went to the pet store and picked up 2 cans of each brand that had no by-products listed in the ingredients and tried them on our cats. The girl told me she would take back any unopened cans. Turns out our babies would only eat the Merrick food and then only the chicken and beef (they do NOT like fish).

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darincm

Does anyone in the Toronto area know a good vet who's first inclincation is NOT meds?
I've heard good things about this clinic in the past (no personal experience): http://www.queenwestvets.com/

Also, this holistic clinic is well known in Toronto:
http://www.holisticpetvet.com/

You can also try Wysong foods. They have various products including a meat only canned food which you need to supplement. You can find Wysong products at Global Pet Foods in Toronto.

julya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please go to a different vet clinic for a second opinion. Also, have his bloodwork rechecked to see if he's still anemic. Anemia, FIP, and worms as the possibilities just don't add up! Sounds like this vet is having some serious diagnostic issues. Bring a fecal sample to the new vet so they can check it for parasites (this should always be done on new kittens/puppies; at the clinic I work at it's free with the first exam). Good luck! <<<Sending lots of healing vibes your way>>>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darincm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet saw them both today & he said they have parasites simply from viewing their coats. Our male has also been scratching like crazy & he believes that is a food allergy. He de-wormed them both & gave us a few cans of Medi-Cal. They both like it & we are watching the male for any signs of allergies with this new food. My wife & I noticed he only scratched his ear once or twice today instead of every 5 minutes.

He said the anemia could be caused by the original emerg visit vet drawing blood - he said kittens that age can have a hard time after blood is drawn because they have so little to begin with.

He was asounted by all the drugs & this poor kitten has had to endure & the expense to us. He didn't charge us anything for the visit.

I think we will stick with canned - we now need to find a good canned food for kittens that they are not allergic too.

I am going to be really peeved for all the expenses ($1,000) if all this time all he needed was a simple de-worming

I now have 15lbs of RAW in my freezer that I got from a local breeder. If there is anyone in the Toronto area who wants it, let me know. We've spent over $100 on different foods & I would like to recoup some of those costs

We paid $45 for the raw, but I'd sell it pretty cheap to someone who needs it.

I know a lot of folks will tell me to stick with the RAW, but it has really been a tough week. If he is eating & healthy I'll be sticking with what works. I may look into RAW again when they get older, but my concern now is that they both eat regularly & get bigger

darincm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
quick note: all the different diganoses are because we've rushed him to emerg twice - 2 different vets & he saw our regular vet Monday & the Breeder's vet today.

The Breeder's vet was the first vet to actually put us at ease & didn't suggest thousands of dollars of procedures.

phantomsr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm one of those people who would encourage you to stick with raw, but in this case, one thing at a time. Give them some time to sort out what's going on. To many changes make it difficult to figure out which one is causing what. Once they are stable and healthy, I'd suggest transitioning them to raw again. The longer you wait, the more difficult it can be.

Just because pop and snacks taste good to us, it doesn't mean that's all we should eat. We can make that determination, our cats can't.

julya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you finally found a good, knowledgable vet. Thank God!
I'm so sorry you had to spend so much money at the other one. About the raw: One of my cats, Bella, is on a raw diet because of severe inflammatory bowel disease. Raw food has literally saved her life. However, I have 3 other cats that do excellent on a high quality regular food. The raw debate is a debate with very strong opinions on both sides. I've listened to people who are more opinionated about raw foods than they are about declawing. I've been both denounced and praised for the way I'm feeding my four cats (1 raw and 3 not). I fall somewhere in the middle of the debate. Raw food is great; it mimics the traditional diet of felines in the wild. There is no debating the fact that it works. However, there are some good high quality commercial foods out there that are just fine to feed. In the end it really comes down to a personal decision in which everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just my
Whew....

darincm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We may revsit raw in 4-6 months. Our concern now is getting them both stable & healthy

darincm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Izzy is sick again. He was eating SD kitten formula for a while & seemed to be doing better even with the remenants of a URI.

He is seeing the vet again today - needless to say I will never ever use or recomend this breeder again

julya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear that Izzy is sick again. Good vibes being sent his way.... I hope he gets better soon. Keep us updated :-)