Raw spot on outer ear?

cmhicks00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am hoping to get some insight before scheduling a veterinarian visit. My 18 month old cat has been itching his right ear lately and I noticed a raw spot on there. About 6 months ago he was diagnosed with an inner ear infection, he had a ton of dark ear wax buildup (I originally thought it may be mites) but it was an inner infection. This time there is no excess wax, just this raw spot. I am thinking maybe ringworm or a some kind of bite? He is indoors but has access to the attached garage which may have some bugs get in from time to time. I have attached a few pictures, thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
In the first pic it almost looks like he may have scratched it but in the second pic I noticed what appeared to be tiny blisters. It's possible from a bug bite in your garage. In either case I would put a call into your vet. It doesn't seem like an emergency but ask if you can forward the pics to them and whether you need to bring him in. I hope this helps you a little.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmhicks00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also forgot to mention, a few days ago I looked at it and it was just a little pink spot, now it seems to have gotten to the point it is now. He has been scratching it quite a bit since then.

Thank you so much for the reply and the insight! :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think I'm seeing some black spots in that second picture too, In the canal. Am I just seeing things? May be that infection reappearing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmhicks00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I'm seeing some black spots in that second picture too, In the canal. Am I just seeing things? May be that infection reappearing.
There are a few, but no more than usual. I did swipe his ear canals with a q-tip and they were fairly clean. He also did not have any raw spots last time and his ears were caked in the wax. I am no expert though, so you could be correct. Unfortunately I can't get into the vet for another week. Thank you for the insight!