Raw Food: Should I be adding supplements?

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I order the 24 oz cartons for $13 something a piece, so yes, very expensive.  I don't want to make her food & I don't want to worry about what Nature's Variety & Primal are really putting into their food.  Nature's is very high in fat & Primal is her least favorite option.  So it is good that I am limited to one cat where I live.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't say I blame you for not wanting to make the food.  It's a fairly tedious process, especially without a grinder.  I just spent 20 minutes chunking and freezer-bagging a 7.5 lb pork roast I got for $1.00/lb. to freeze for future batches of food mix.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a grinder (a good one) and you'll never look back.
60lbs of chicken necks, 20lbs of thighs, 20lbs of hearts, livers, gizzards.
That's 100lbs, bones and all....One hour from a clean counter top, to clean counter top, dishwasher running, freezer full, and blue mountains.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Get a grinder (a good one) and you'll never look back.
60lbs of chicken necks, 20lbs of thighs, 20lbs of hearts, livers, gizzards.
That's 100lbs, bones and all....One hour from a clean counter top, to clean counter top, dishwasher running, freezer full, and blue mountains.
I like to feed my cats large chunks, not ground, BUT....cutting up chicken bones, especially thigh bones, with scissors is time consuming, tedious and makes my hand/wrist hurt.  That's when I start dreaming of a grinder.

What brand to you have?  I've looked at the Tasin several times, but keep thinking something even more powerful (and expensive) would be better.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I like to feed my cats large chunks, not ground, BUT....cutting up chicken bones, especially thigh bones, with scissors is time consuming, tedious and makes my hand/wrist hurt.  That's when I start dreaming of a grinder.

What brand to you have?  I've looked at the Tasin several times, but keep thinking something even more powerful (and expensive) would be better.
It's an... LEM #8 SS...
It comes with three plates (holes where the grind comes out).  Bunch of tiny holes, Bunch of 3/8" holes, and then one plate with only 3 large oblong holes.
We use the middle plate with the 3/8" holes in it. 
I have to make our grind pretty small, like typical ground meat.  You can pet and scrub and love on him when he's eating ground meat. But, if it's a big enough chunk that he can carry off....you would think he has furious rabies or something. (no exaggeration)

I'm sure that plate with just three big holes in it would give you chunks. Small chunks, but.....chunks.

And we've not found a cut of bone-in chicken that will slow this grinder down.
I think any of their bigger grinders would have been overkill.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's an... LEM #8 SS...

But, if it's a big enough chunk that he can carry off....you would think he has furious rabies or something. (no exaggeration)

Thank you for the recommendation!

As long as I have the food mixed with a supplement/gravy slurry, the kitten keeps it on the plate....ok...drug onto the ceramic tile floor just a couple inches off the plate.

This is what happened when I gave her a whole raw chicken gizzard a few weekends ago:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/336182/gizzard-hunting-kitten

She acted delighted, as if I had given her a live mouse or something.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for the recommendation!

As long as I have the food mixed with a supplement/gravy slurry, the kitten keeps it on the plate....ok...drug onto the ceramic tile floor just a couple inches off the plate.

This is what happened when I gave her a whole raw chicken gizzard a few weekends ago:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/336182/gizzard-hunting-kitten

She acted delighted, as if I had given her a live mouse or something.
LOL!   Great description, I can see that in my mind!! 
Unfortunately mine isn't like that.  If I give him a chicken leg, a mouse, or anything "chunk".   You just hope he's not between you and the door. 
I've decided the only thing that might take a chicken leg away from him would be a Cougar with a death wish.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've decided the only thing that might take a chicken leg away from him would be a Cougar with a death wish.

That's hilarious!  I figured, no matter what topic, there is a YouTube video: